× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Archetype Cable Cutter

More
10 years 7 months ago #6791 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Archetype Cable Cutter

I think we both know the answer to that.

More than "both". ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #6793 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic Re: Archetype Cable Cutter
We bought an Archetype Cable Cutter ... haven't tried it out yet. I like the concept

More
10 years 5 months ago #7065 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Archetype Cable Cutter
I'm going to be using Archetype cable cutter on the refitted Mega Alpha (my Maxi Alpha clone, which once rebuilt, will be a mid-power worthy rocket in need of dual deploy on certain motors). I plan on using motor ejection at apogee for drogue and then altimeter controlled cable cutter for the main.

One question, is the difference between the 2 versions (ematch versus Q2G2) in the diameter of the hole through which the igniter is placed, or are there other differences? I expect to use an ematch, ala what comes with a typical CTI motor, so just curious.

More
10 years 5 months ago #7066 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Archetype Cable Cutter

One question, is the difference between the 2 versions (ematch versus Q2G2) in the diameter of the hole through which the igniter is placed, or are there other differences? I expect to use an ematch, ala what comes with a typical CTI motor, so just curious.

Just the hole size. If you get the one with the bigger hole (ematch) you can still use Q2G2 by using one of the small o rings or just putting a blob of hot melt glue hear the head of the Q2G2.

More
10 years 5 months ago #7068 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Archetype Cable Cutter
OK thanks Bill. The longest quest igniters I can find are 8" and assuming I tether the cutter/chute bundle a distance of 1/2 the length of the igniter lead from the forward attachment point, an 8" igniter would put the bundle 4" from the attach point. That will be too short in the configuration I'm envisioning, so probably will go with the (longer lead) ematch.

My wife says I should go to a club meeting (trying to get rid of me!), so I will *really* try to make the 17th meeting, bring the rocket pieces and get some tips. I still have to build a bulkhead/altimeter mount into the nose, so there's plenty of room for design suggestions.