I found a wood working shop in East Boston that will cut out the fins for $15.00. Hopefully I can get there within the next week or two. Once I get the fins cut and a few small accessories from Apogee I'll have everything I need. Of course I will have to buy some green paint.
Enough of the parts came in yesterday so that I can start the build process. The fins came out good but not perfect. I started sanding the front root edge so that the entire root edge comes in contact with the body tube. The fins tabs may also need some sanding. All the parts I got from BMS and Estes fit perfectly together thanks to John B's advice. This rocket might be ready for the July 14th Berwick launch. I'm thinking of naming it The Leviathan Resurrection.
I have the motor mount assembly installed and the fist of four fins was just put in tonight. Instead of launch lugs I'm going with 10/10 rail buttons which have been installed. At this point it's all about the fins and filet of fins. I have a CTI F36 reload ready and waiting to be used for the maiden flight. I'm going to order the official Leviathan decal set in the next day of so.
Someone at the July 7th Berwick launch had a nice looking Leviathan with a custom paint job.
So far I have three fins attached. The final one should go on tonight. With custom fins I have to do some sanding to get the best fit. I assign each fin to a particular slot. Does anyone else do that? I got some great epoxy from Robert DeHate at the July 7th launch in Maine. I got 30 minute Bob Smith Industries brand. Great stuff. It dries clear. We are so lucky to have such wonderful on field vendors such as Robert and Jim Flis.
The one on the left belongs to young Jonathan which is the official Estes kit. I installed rail buttons for him because the launch lugs keep ripping off. The one on the right is the one I'm building from scratch. The body tubes, engine tubes, engine retainer and parachute are official Estes Leviathan parts. The fins are custom cut and fitted. The centering rings and the nose cone are after market which is why my nose cone is a bit taller. It is my understanding that the Big Daddy NC is a perfect match. Do you think I got the fin size and shape right? I copied the fins from an extra fin that came with the Estes Scion kit. Estes shares fins between some of the Pro Series II kits. For example the Partzion and the Sahara.
I'm hoping to get this rocket flying this weekend in Berwick. I have two more fin fillets to go and if I have time I will at least paint the nose cone black and the fins white. I'm thinking of really doing this kit up for high power. Maybe inner fin fillets and an Aeropack motor retainer. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
I have to thank John Buscaglia for telling me where to get the CR and NC (BMS), and what part numbers to buy and why. I'm very grateful that AMW was at the last Berwick launch so that I could buy epoxy to build the Leviathan and an engine to fly it.
Last night I completed all the fin fillets, inner as well as outer and the aft centering ring is in place. I gave the outside facing side of the aft CR a coat of epoxy to protect it from engine exhaust. Linda was a big help with this aspect of the built. I even started masking off areas for painting. This kit is built to take the riggers of an H engine. Instead of the Estes plastic retainer I would like to go with the Aero Pack retainer. In the mean time I'm going to check with our RSO to see if I can use tape to secure the engine to the motor tube. I won't have time before Saturday to fully paint the striping so I'll cheat by using black and green masking tape. Tonight I'll paint the NC and fin can.