× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Newton Center, MA Scouts

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 3 months ago #7148 by KennB
Newton Center, MA Scouts was created by KennB
I received this request today. Is there anyone who can help them out? Let me know if you're interested and available and I can put you in touch with the Assistant Scoutmaster:

Greetings,

I am with Boy Scout Troop 205 in Newton Center, MA. Our boy scouts are interested in pursuing the Space Exploration merit badge. One of the requirements is to build, launch and recover a model rocket. They also need to make a second launch to accomplish a specific objective.

Would one of your club members be available to instruct the scouts on the proper way to build a rocket (probably from a kit), discuss safety, and perhaps supervise launching rockets.

We meet in Newton Center MA on Monday evenings from 7:00 till 8:30. Ideally we would like someone to address the scouts for about 40 minutes one Monday in March and supervise the scouts launching one weekend day, maybe at one of your events.

Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks,
Jim Janosky
Assistant Scoutmaster

I asked about the number of scouts and had they selected a kit yet:

I anticipate around 30 scouts and can get a firm number once we have cost details. I would expect everyone would want to participate. I am new to model rockets and do not have a particular kit in mind, though I noticed that there are some bulk packages available I would appreciate any recommendations you could give us.

Jim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #7149 by bryanlovely
Replied by bryanlovely on topic Re: Newton Center, MA Scouts
I have run this merit badge with my troop and for Cub Scout Packs. I would be more than happy to help.

-Bryan

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 3 months ago #7150 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Newton Center, MA Scouts
Thanks, Bryan.

I've sent you a PM with the contact info and a note to Jim to let him know you'll get a hold of him.

Please let me know if there's anything you need help with.

More
10 years 3 months ago #7152 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: Newton Center, MA Scouts
Hobbylinc currently has the Estes Make it Take it E2x bulk pack of 25 kits on special this week at
24% off. About $2.08 per kit!

www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est1799.htm

Guy.

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 3 months ago #7153 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Newton Center, MA Scouts

Hobbylinc currently has the Estes Make it Take it E2x bulk pack of 25 kits on special this week at
24% off. About $2.08 per kit!

www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est1799.htm

Guy.

Thanks, Guy. I'll keep this info handy but I think merit badges should require attaching the fin for themselves.
Kenn

More
10 years 3 months ago #7155 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Newton Center, MA Scouts
I could help, but looks like Bryan got there first (I'm in Brighton, Newton Center is 5 min away).