× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Not at Acton launch

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #7106 by rdh8
Not at Acton launch was created by rdh8
I will not be going to Acton this coming weekend and Jason wont be making it either.
If anyone needs motors etc give us a call and we can arrange.
Let anyone know that isn't on the forum as well.

Thanks,
Robert
AMW/ProX

Call Gloria at 603-566-2904 I am sure Bill wont mind a visit from a box of motors.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by rdh8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #7107 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Not at Acton launch

I am sure Bill wont mind a visit from a box of motors.

That's never a problem. It's the visit by some snow flakes that has me concerned.

More
10 years 4 months ago #7108 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Not at Acton launch
Weather looks like it might cooperate - 'some snow flurries' is the latest I've seen for Acton on Saturday.

I'm optimistic, so I went ahead and ordered a 24mm F85 for the Mega Alpha - it'll be in the package that gets delivered to Bill. Bird should fly to 1200', but with the cable cutter based dual deploy (main @700'), should also come down in the field. I'll scrap its launch though if it looks too windy...spent too much time rebuilding it to risk losing it.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #7120 by bobkrech
Replied by bobkrech on topic Re: Not at Acton launch
700' seems a bit high for a main deployment in Acton. The shortest dimension of the field is less than that so in a 10 mph wind you still could blow into the trees.

400' is a more reasonable altitude, however until I knew how the cable cutter deployment delays the main opening, I'd be hesitant to go that low on a first flight.

Bob
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bobkrech.

More
10 years 3 months ago #7121 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Not at Acton launch
I was thinking about that as well and will probably reduce it to 500'. Everything I've read and heard about cable cutters is that it can take a while for the 'burrito' to unwrap and for the parachute to inflate, but 400' scares me. Thanks as always for the suggestion Bob.