× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Nice find!

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #7039 by mlaudato
Nice find! was created by mlaudato
This garage door opener was mounted and unused (and assumed broken) since we bought the house over 16 years ago. As part of my "can't launch things so might as well clean up the shop" activities, I decided to pull it down and see what I could do with it.

I opened it up to take a peek, and it appeared very serviceable. After an hour or two of tinkering, I removed a stuck gear, wired up a switch and viola!, a perfectly good motor and gear case that runs like a top.

I'm going to rig up a gear/pulley assembly and use it to turn freshly glassed body tubes (maybe at 1 RPM) so that I can minimize drip, flow and unsightly build up as the epoxy is drying.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by mlaudato.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #7040 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Nice find!
I've started no flying projects to. The power supply for our inflatable Santa burned out last year. He's been sitting in a box contributing to the clutter in my workshop so I decided to fix him. You know those AC adapters that come with anything electronic? I saved a bunch of them because you never know when you're going to need one. So I started digging through the pile of tangled cords. This is what fell out of the bin. It took me half an hour to untangle them.

Attachments:

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 5 months ago #7041 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Nice find!
Heck, just string some lights on that cluster Bill, power them with a couple of those adapters and you'll have a fine shop decoration for the holidays!

More
10 years 5 months ago #7042 by jlnel
Replied by jlnel on topic Re: Nice find!
OMG....

I've started no flying projects to. The power supply for our inflatable Santa burned out last year. He's been sitting in a box contributing to the clutter in my workshop so I decided to fix him. You know those AC adapters that come with anything electronic? I saved a bunch of them because you never know when you're going to need one. So I started digging through the pile of tangled cords. This is what fell out of the bin. It took me half an hour to untangle them.

More
10 years 5 months ago #7046 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Nice find!

OMG....

John,
You've been in Bill's basement; this can't be too big a surprise to you. ;)

More
10 years 5 months ago #7047 by jlnel
Replied by jlnel on topic Re: Nice find!
lol