× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Tips on fiberglassing?

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 5 months ago #6993 by mlaudato
Tips on fiberglassing? was created by mlaudato
Well, the long dry season begins today, so I need to keep busy. One project that I've had in mind involves learning how to fiberglass over my phenolic body tubes. I've read through a bunch of websites and have a small clue, but wanted to ask the more experienced builders about what they do.

Things I'm interested in:
- Suppliers of fiberglass cloth. Who do you order from?
- Good cloth to use. What weights and textures do you use?
- Glues. What do you use? I am planning on sticking with my West Systems epoxy, as it appears perfectly suited to this application, but want to hear about other options.
- Rigs. How do you roll it? I'm thinking broom handle mounted between two sawhorses in some way so I can easily turn it.
- Making it look good. 'Nuf said, what are the super secret tips that will give me a great looking rocket.

Thanks,
- Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #6994 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Tips on fiberglassing?
Always use a respirator in a well ventilated area for applying epoxy and also sanding epoxy/FG.
I wear very old clothes and nitrile gloves (100 pack at Lowes).
Lots of alcohol and paper towels great for real-time epoxy cleanup.

Two most recent vendors I have purchased from, both shipped me exactly what was ordered:
www.FiberglassSite.com
www.sollercomposites.com

I use 6oz when going for heavier build ups, for example 1 to 4+ layers on 6in+ body tubes and Machbusters.

Use 1 to 1.5oz for light build ups on smaller or lighter projects. 2 to 4 layers for anything smaller/slower that above = most of my rockets. If in doubt, I go for 2 layers. Very easy to sand through just one layer unless very careful.

I usually do all planned glass layers on an assembly at once to save time and assure maximum bond between layers. However, can add more layers of FG later if cured assembly seems too flexible.

Also use one layer of 1-1.5oz as a "veil" over heavier buildups to smooth surface and greatly reduce sanding afterwards to get a flat surface. Also Frequently necessary to roll on another thin layer of Epoxy after first sanding to fill voids.

I also use West Systems with good results. Like to stick with familiar materials for more predictable results. 206 hardener and 105 resin. Some recommend high heat epoxies, but these are only necessary past Mach 2 (good luck).

I also use dowel/broom handle to hold tubes while glassing. Like to use disposable 4in rollers, much quicker and more even than brushes.

If you are going to cut a body tube to shorter length, glass it at least 3in longer than final size and make final cut after glassing is done, as the ends are more likely to get sloppy when glassing. If body tube is already final length, then just be extra careful with FG on tube ends to avoid bubbles/separation.

On a couple of occasions only spotted pits and voids in FG after primer. In desperation I hand painted with (common household) Latex primer, then sanded, then spray primed and painted with great results.

• mlaudato
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 5 months ago #6996 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Tips on fiberglassing?
Thanks Boris, great tutorial. That content is a good candidate to be written up as a How To.

More
10 years 5 months ago #6997 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Tips on fiberglassing?

Thanks Boris, great tutorial. That content is a good candidate to be written up as a How To.

And we have a place for it. Look on your left near the top of the page. We have an underutilized menu item for How To articles.

More
10 years 5 months ago #6999 by bobkrech
Replied by bobkrech on topic Re: Tips on fiberglassing?
Another word of advice is to use 60 or 80 grit paper to roughen up any surface you are planning to glass. Contrary to what you might read on the web, epoxy does not dissolve anything. While it will fill a porous surface, it only forms a physical bond to a surface so that surface should be clean and dry, free of oils and paint, and be roughen to increase the surface area which makes the bonding stronger.

The linker in many epoxies are amines, and they form a blush on the surface which weakens further bonding with another layer of epoxy. If you are going to apply a second coat of epoxy over the first, you should sand before recoating to remove the surface blush layer.

Bob

• mlaudato
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 5 months ago #7002 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Tips on fiberglassing?
Thanks Bob, good sanding habits are important.

I pulled the info from the thread into a How To article and submitted it.