× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Getting along with the Neighbors in Amesbury

More
10 years 6 months ago #6945 by stvmhny
While we were launching last weekend a woman came by and asked to have the P.A. turned down which we did immediately. When she spoke to me she made it clear she would prefer no rocket launches. Later, I did a little recon. I believe the topography and the apartment building may be reflecting and amplifying our P.A. When she left, she said "we've gotten use to the sound of the rockets but the droning of the speakers all day long was too much". I'd like to suggest we put some thought into getting the sound where we need it at a suitable volume and "waste" sound be directed away from housing. I can think of several ways to make this happen. What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6947 by billspad
I turned the volume down as soon as I heard she thought it was too loud. If it can be heard at the houses it is too loud. There's no need for it to carry any further than the dirt road.

Ideally the speaker that isn't on the flagpole should be out at the road facing in. There's no practical way to do that with wire. Wireless would be nice but we haven't had much luck with that. There's an FM transmitter in the controller but the broadcast radio spectrum is so crowded it's impossible to find a frequency that's open and far enough away from one that's in use. If anybody has a good wireless solution please let me know.

For the next launch I"m going to aim that speaker more towards the ground and we'll have somebody run out to the road to do a sound check.

The droning must have been Kenn.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6951 by KennB

Let’s imagine Bill and Kenn channeling Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci from Goodfellas:

Bill: You're a pistol, you're really drone. You're really drone.

Kenn: What do you mean I'm drone?

Bill: It's drone, you know. It's a good story, it's drone, you're a drone guy.
[laughs]

Kenn: What do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?

Bill: It's just, you know. You're just drone, it's... drone, the way you tell the story and everything.

Kenn: [it becomes quiet] Drone how? What's drone about it?

Ed: Kenn, no. You got it all wrong.

Kenn: Oh, oh, Ed. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Drone how?

Bill: Jus...

Kenn: What?

Bill: Just... ya know... you're drone.

Kenn: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fueled up maybe, but I'm drone how, I mean drone like I'm an unmanned aerial vehicle, I observe you? I make you watched, I'm here to fuelin' observe you? What do you mean drone, drone how? How am I drone?

Bill: Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?

Kenn: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm drone. How the fuel am I drone, what the fuel is so drone about me? Tell me, tell me what's drone!

More
10 years 6 months ago #6952 by KennB
On a more serious note, keeping the PA sound on the field is something we'll have to figure out.

In the past couple of weeks, I've had occasion to meet with many of our neighbors on Whitehall Road. The ones I spoke with were either neutral about us, interested in what we do or even happy to have us launching at the farm from time to time. We've had folks bring rockets back to us at the launches and contact us through our website about a rocket they've found or one they seen coming down off the field.

We need to do what we have to to keep good relations with these folks and try to win over the others. There will always be some we can't reach but overall, I think we're doing a good job keeping the neighbors happy. We know to always knock on doors before going onto property to retrieve an errant flight and we tell flyer new to our launches to do the same. Parking issues aside, we are on a good footing with various city departments we deal with and we don't want to do anything to jeopardize those relations.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #6954 by billspad

Let’s imagine Bill and Kenn channeling Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci from Goodfellas:

I'd need to have a good imagination because that's another movie I've never seen. So I had to do research to find the original dialog. No fair cutting and pasting from IMDB.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by billspad.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6956 by KennB

I'd need to have a good imagination because that's another movie I've never seen. So I had to do research to find the original dialog. No fair cutting and pasting from IMDB.

What makes you think I didn't type it from memory? Well, I didn't; IMDB is a great site. Your welcome for the editing I did to keep it forum friendly. :evil: But now you've told everyone where to go to find the original.