× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

New rocket Questions

More
11 years 7 months ago #6239 by Doc
New rocket Questions was created by Doc
I just finished and ASP V2 24 and reading the recommended engines it can fly on anything between a A (with adapter) to an E30-7. The first question is that it has no engine retainer and should be friction fit with tape, I looked it up and everybody swears it's safe but it seems MacGiverish to me. The second is that on Rocksim the E's will push this thing to 3000 ft. Is that in our ceiling at Amesbury? And am I looking at losing a rocket if it flies that high without a dual deploy system? And would Berwick be better for the E's?

Thanks in advance just figured I'd ask in advance of a launch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #6240 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: New rocket Questions

I just finished and ASP V2 24 and reading the recommended engines it can fly on anything between a A (with adapter) to an E30-7. The first question is that it has no engine retainer and should be friction fit with tape, I looked it up and everybody swears it's safe but it seems MacGiverish to me.

It's common practice. Just make sure the engine is a much tighter fit than the nosecone.

The second is that on Rocksim the E's will push this thing to 3000 ft. Is that in our ceiling at Amesbury?

There really is no ceiling for a model rocket however...

And am I looking at losing a rocket if it flies that high without a dual deploy system?

Most likely.

And would Berwick be better for the E's?

Yes but consider that if you're rocket is dropping under chute from 3000 feet at 15 fps it's going to be in the air for 200 seconds. For every mile per hour of cross wind your rocket is going to travel horizontally 1.5 feet per second. With a 10 mile per hour wind that will have you landing over a half a mile away from where the chute opened. That's about how far the pads are from the trees. You need to aim carefully.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6241 by Doc
Replied by Doc on topic Re: New rocket Questions

Yes but consider that if you're rocket is dropping under chute from 3000 feet at 15 fps it's going to be in the air for 200 seconds. For every mile per hour of cross wind your rocket is going to travel horizontally 1.5 feet per second. With a 10 mile per hour wind that will have you landing over a half a mile away from where the chute opened. That's about how far the pads are from the trees. You need to aim carefully.

Thanks, So in no wind (Ha!) it would be ok. I imagine that a steamer would cut down the drift, I'll see if I can see what the descent speed would be in the sim.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6242 by harrywoodell
Replied by harrywoodell on topic Re: New rocket Questions
My Sunward six footer was found in the trees after about a 1000 foot flight on an E15-7 last Saturday. These trees are on the East side of the field just past Ridion road, about 2500 feet from the pad. The wind on this big rocket was bending the launch rod to just about the legal launch angle limit the wrong way, so the flight started down wind and kept going that way through boost, coast, and recovery. Next time I bring a bike for the recovery "walk".

More
11 years 6 months ago #6243 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: New rocket Questions
We had some respectable wind on Saturday and I don't recall anything leaving the field. This included Howard's flight to around 5000 feet that we lost sight of on the way up and didn't see it again until the main opened.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6244 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: New rocket Questions

We had some respectable wind on Saturday and I don't recall anything leaving the field. This included Howard's flight to around 5000 feet that we lost sight of on the way up and didn't see it again until the main opened.

Bill, no doubt you were prepping a rocket or tending to the equipment or performing your homage to Benny Hill, but early in the day, Bill Bakos (I believe) had a DD main chute come out at appogee which took the rocket well past the trees.

Aside from Tony's extra parachute, those were the only two things I can recall going off-field.