× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Quest Q2G2 igniters at CMASS launches

More
11 years 9 months ago #6129 by rkalin
Do Quest Q2G2 igniters work properly with the launch controller(s) used at CMASS launches? I've only used Estes bare wire igniters in the past, but I've been told the Q2G2s offer greater reliability. However, they're very low current igniters and some launch controllers intended for "high power" rockets can set them off prematurely during continuity tests. I'm only intending on flying low power rockets--A, B, C engines--so I'll be on "low power" pads. Do I have to worry about Q2G2s igniting during continuity checks on these low power pads, or have other folks used these Quest igniters happily at previous CMASS launches without problems? Are they in fact more reliable than the bare wire igniters as claimed? (I searched the forum for previous posts on this question but didn't find anything; apologies if this question was already answered elsewhere and I just missed it.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #6130 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Quest Q2G2 igniters at CMASS launches
The CMASS systems use a very low current for continuity check and there has never been a pre-ignition on the Quest ignitors. They are pretty wonderful and have a high degree of reliability.

More
11 years 9 months ago #6131 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Quest Q2G2 igniters at CMASS launches

Are they in fact more reliable than the bare wire igniters as claimed?

Yes but the Estes igniters aren't all tjhat unreliable. When putting an Estes igniter in the nozzle push down so the wires spread and touch the sides of the nozzle. Make sure the plug goes between the two wires.

Besides being great igniters the Q2G2 are also a great substitute for electric matches in ejection charges for high power rockets.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #6132 by alan
If you want a 99.44% success rate with the stock Estes igniters...

(1) Bill said: Make sure the plug goes between the two wires.

(2) Clean inner surface of the micro clips with 400 grit sandpaper

(3) Fold over the last 1/4" of both igniter leads before you hook up the clips. This gives you more surface area for the clip to contact the igniter, and if it is windy the clips are more likely to stay connected as the rocket buffets on the pad prior to launch.

-Alan
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by alan.