× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Pad C Ignition Changes

• alan
  • alan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #5833 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
> extending the input line on my box would be easy for me to do.

Actually if you soldered a 1/4 inch phone plug to the coil wire on your GSE, you could plug in directly on the existing MPR and HPR lines well before they get to the pad bypassing the clips completely. For non-CMASS launches, make up a 1/4 inch phone jack with short 16 awg pigtails.

> At some launches last year we had a line waiting for C

True. The club has equipment for 4 HPR pads. We have set up a Pad C / Pad D cell on the hill in the past on busy days so 2 launch preps can happen in parallel. Pad D can be set up at every launch if more volunteers arrive early (9:30AM) to help out (I'm not referring to you, Boris ;-). Even if you dont get there at 9:30, there's nothing stopping any member from hauling out Pad D during the day so long as you fetch it back after.

-Alan
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by alan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #5835 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes

I can include a 3rd connection (jack) on the terminal box for micro clip leads too.

Good idea.

I'll build one prototype for field testing - does anyone have any of these parts in their junk box ? (see 2 attachments) The hole in the binding post should accept minimally a 16 awg wire.

I've got a couple of different kinds of binding posts. Do you think you really need the speaker terminal things? The binding posts make a much better connection.

• alan
  • alan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 1 month ago #5839 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
Bill-

>> The binding posts make a much better connection.
Agreed 100%. I thought having 2 pairs of binding posts would be required (backup, multiple ignitors).

>> Do you think you really need the speaker terminal things?
The speaker type option came out of a discussion I had with Bob K, we thought they would be good to try on the prototype (provided they closee fully on thin gauge wire).

Bring a selection of what you have to TARC on 31-Mar-2012, mininally 2 pairs (4 posts total).

Thanks,
-Alan

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #5869 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
Nice! Were going to have to put instructions on the side. If you don't have a label maker, I do.

Impressively huge magnet! I'm glad I don't use magnetic apogee detectors any more.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #5871 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes

If you don't have a label maker, I do.

Color me surprised!!!! :woohoo:

As to any effect from the magnet on on-board electronics, will the blast deflector "spread" the magnetic field enough that it won't be a problem? Anyone with lots of iron in their blood may still be in trouble, though.

Alan, if you can get up to Berwick for the next launch (21 April) you can have a look at a Pratt Hobbies set up.