× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

stupid human tricks

• billspad
  • billspad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
12 years 2 months ago #5741 by billspad
stupid human tricks was created by billspad
As hard as it is to believe that one person would do this, there are several YouTube videos of fools who somehow thought this was a good idea. I'll leave the search for the videos to you. Here's an excerpt from the lawsuit.

www.loweringthebar.net/2012/02/bottle-rocket.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5742 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: stupid human tricks
One of the many UTube videos I won't be searching for anytime soon.

An item made the news a couple years ago where someone stuck a rocket motor into a similar launch platform and fired it. It had enough impulse, not specified in the general "news" article, to enter the person's body. There were extreme burns, major internal injury and emergency surgery involved.

Darwin has been away for too long.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #5743 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: stupid human tricks

One of the many UTube videos I won't be searching for anytime soon.

An item made the news a couple years ago where someone stuck a rocket motor into a similar launch platform and fired it. It had enough impulse, not specified in the general "news" article, to enter the person's body. There were extreme burns, major internal injury and emergency surgery involved.

Darwin has been away for too long.

That makes two searches I won't be doing. :S

For your story, Boris, I hope for the person involved it was a motor with a short delay (ass-uming a traditional BP-style motor). After the initial thrust, it would be better to get the w-hole process over with rather than think the worst was over only to find out you were wrong after a seven second delay. :ohmy:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by KennB.

• billspad
  • billspad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
12 years 2 months ago #5745 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: stupid human tricks
At least the guy in the article had the rocket pointed in the right direction although it evidently got stuck on the "pad". And just to be clear, it was a bottle rocket. On the video that I watched (one was more than enough) the obvious mistake was the lack of a blast deflector.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5748 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: stupid human tricks

At least the guy in the article had the rocket pointed in the right direction although it evidently got stuck on the "pad". And just to be clear, it was a bottle rocket. On the video that I watched (one was more than enough) the obvious mistake was the lack of a blast deflector.

Sounds like it was a lack of brains and a bottle - and I'll bet there were lots of empties of both around.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5755 by davisolzoe
Replied by davisolzoe on topic Re: stupid human tricks
obviously he used an improperly sized launch-lug.....