× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Acton Winter Carnival - Demo Launches - Feb 4th

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 3 months ago #5724 by jcsalem
The Acton Winter Carnival will be from 12-4 on Saturday February 4th. We can setup starting at 11AM. Info on the event is here: www.acton-ma.gov/index.aspx?NID=306 and here: www.acton-ma.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1084 And no, I don't know what the "Human Dog Sled Races" are about. [Though I can only imagine they would be improved by the addition of rockets.]

We can likely use one of the picnic tables on site though if someone wants to bring one, we'll have more flexibility. Unlike last year, we can do demo launches any time but we will have no night launches. Model rockets only and no "heads up" or first time flights.

Who's in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #5725 by KennB
Count me in.

I may even take a swipe at the chili cook-off. :evil:

More
12 years 3 months ago #5727 by mixedmindz
Hi Guys, I'm new to the site.
I recently got a rocket itch after some launches with a nephew.
I was pleased to find a local chapter of NAR this close to home.

I had quite a bit of Estes experience as a kid.
I just finished my first kit in ~20 years. (LOC Onyx)
and am planning on launching at this launch.

Are there any local retailers of F-G motors?
I was planning on starting off with some E9s I picked up in Nashua,
but rocksim says with any wind (winterfest?) and the thing will be flying sideways.
obviously not how I want to make my CMASS debut...

I heard shipping is close to 2 weeks on motors.

I was less than content as soon as I realized I purchased a kit when I should of designed my own.(did I mention I like rocksim?) I am planning on building a G/H rocket from scratch that I'd like to get certified with.

I was hoping I just found the place to do so.
Anyways Hello & Thanks,

-Ryan

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #5728 by KennB

Hi Guys, I'm new to the site.
I recently got a rocket itch after some launches with a nephew.
I was pleased to find a local chapter of NAR this close to home.

I had quite a bit of Estes experience as a kid.
I just finished my first kit in ~20 years. (LOC Onyx)
and am planning on launching at this launch.

Are there any local retailers of F-G motors?
I was planning on starting off with some E9s I picked up in Nashua,
but rocksim says with any wind (winterfest?) and the thing will be flying sideways.
obviously not how I want to make my CMASS debut...

I heard shipping is close to 2 weeks on motors.

I was less than content as soon as I realized I purchased a kit when I should of designed my own.(did I mention I like rocksim?) I am planning on building a G/H rocket from scratch that I'd like to get certified with.

I was hoping I just found the place to do so.
Anyways Hello & Thanks,

-Ryan

Ryan,
Welcome aboard.

To answer your question about motor availability, Howard Greenblatt (CMASS Secretary) is a vendor for Road Runner motors; these are single-use composite motors in E through G impulse. Another club member, Robert DeHate, represents Animal Motor Works / CTI and carries reloadable composite motors from E impulse up to stuff you couldn't fly at a CMASS launch. You can find either of them in the Member List and send them a private message to get more information.

Having said that, I need to be a wet blanket and tell you that flying an F or G motor in an Onyx may not be a good idea at the Winter Carnival. Even if we set up on the larger available field, it's still pretty small for that combo. As thrilling and exciting as it would be, I'd rather your first flights with us are recoverable so you'll be happy and come fly with us some more. Our April launch in Amesbury (not a TARC launch) would be the better place to put the Onyx up on a larger motor. Bring some smaller rockets and motors to the Winter Carnival and you'll have a real good time.

Kenn
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by KennB.

More
12 years 3 months ago #5729 by mixedmindz
Thanks Kenn,

I guess I'll try and catch up with these members at the launch. I'd certainly rather buy local if I can.
What do you expect the recovery area to look like in Acton? 1000', 500', less?
I have a 24mm adapter, maybe I can find a combo that won't send it into orbit but still provide enough thrust to keep it flying straight.

I've been running my simulations with wind set to 15-25mph. Trying to be over cautious.
and this short/fat design really seems to lay over into the wind.
Any Idea how windy your windy December launch was? (thinking worst case wind without cancel)
Ah, and most importantly, how much faith should I put in RockSim?
I'm sure its a good startingpoint and nothing beats real test flights, but is it good enough to keep things safe?

I got a couple pieces of blue tube in the mail.
I'll try and come up with a design that will fly those E's or smaller reasonably.
and I'll certainly bring the nephew flying C's.

I'm really looking forward to meet some people that have been doing this a while.
I have some questions about reloads/recovery options and experience beats google everytime.

Where is the Amesbury location? Much Larger? Altitude Restrictions?

oh, and what does TARC stand for? (Tripoli?)

thanks again,

-Ryan

More
12 years 3 months ago #5730 by KennB
Ryan,

There probably won't be many members at the Acton Carnival; we are only doing demonstration launches and will only be given a limited time to be on "stage". I wouldn't expect to be able to pick up motors unless you arrange it ahead of time.

Enter NARA Park, Acton, MA in Google Maps, click on Satellite and zoom in. We have launched from the hill just northwest of the pond in a past Winter Carnival or the south edge of the soccer fields in warmer weather. Wherever we set up, the trees are only going to be 200 feet away.

Click on the Directions tab on the right of this page and then on Amesbury. It shows the field and has directions. It even gives an address so you can punch that into a GPS device.

TARC is Team America Rocketry Challenge. Click on the Links tab and then Organizations Related to Rocketry. Their web page will explain it all.

Kenn