× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Level 1 Motors

More
12 years 5 months ago #5662 by Taser
Level 1 Motors was created by Taser
I've been wanting to try out level one HPR, and I have a good rocket with recovery and everything. Now, all I need is an H Motor. I searched the internet, and I still can't find one to buy. I was wondering if at launches there was some kind of stand or anything where I can get an engine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5663 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Level 1 Motors
Robert DeHate is usually at our Amesbury launches representing CTI/Animal Motor Works. He has casings and reloads that would be great for L1. Get a hold of him through the members list and see what he can do for you.

You have to be certified to purchase motors at that level so you'll need a "sponsor" to purchase one for you for your attempt. There are plenty of L1, L2 and even some L3 folks at the launches so that won't be a problem. You have to be a member of the NAR or Tripoli to become certified at a CMASS launch.

Another option would be to drive a little further to Berwick, ME, and try at a MMMSC launch. There should be a waiver by next year's season and the field is very large and flat making recovery a little easier. Robert has attended at least two launches up there and will likely become a regular once the waiver is issued. The national membership applies there, too.

If you have any questions, come to a club meeting some night or find someone with the experience to bounce questions off of (not me - not L1 or even close).

Have fun building this winter.
Kenn

More
12 years 5 months ago #5664 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: Level 1 Motors
In the past, Cesaroni has also run certification specials with a reduced cost for a motor case and your first reload. Make sure Robert knows the case/reload is for a certification flight in case he is running a special.

Guy.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5667 by Johnny1Eye
Replied by Johnny1Eye on topic Re: Level 1 Motors

You have to be certified to purchase motors at that level so you'll need a "sponsor" to purchase one for you for your attempt.

I have read many other posts (on other forums) saying this same thing. It is not true. You are allowed to buy a single "lvl 1" motor for cert. flights. You do not need to find someone else to buy it for you.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5668 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Level 1 Motors

You have to be certified to purchase motors at that level so you'll need a "sponsor" to purchase one for you for your attempt.

I have read many other posts (on other forums) saying this same thing. It is not true. You are allowed to buy a single "lvl 1" motor for cert. flights. You do not need to find someone else to buy it for you.

True but you have to find a dealer who is willing to sell one to you. Some are reluctant if they don't know you.

More
12 years 4 months ago #5683 by cvause
Replied by cvause on topic Re: Level 1 Motors
Red Arrow Hobbies has an AT H123 Level 1 Special priced at $9.99. Of course you need a 38mm case, but I think this is a great deal. Just fax your NAR or Tripoli card at time of order.

If you load up on LPR and MPR propellent, you can get reduced or even waived HAZMAT charges.