× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Wildman Jr. video: What's wrong with this picture?

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #5659 by jcsalem
Here's a video of my dual deploy Wildman Jr. flight on a Loki H144:

See if you can find what's wrong with the flight... I was stumped on a problem with the flight that even the altimeter data didn't reveal. All the data you need is in the video.

It's from the Oct. 22nd launch but took awhile to post since the camera was attached to Howard's Vertical Assault which we didn't recover until Nov. 19th.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5660 by ScottyDog
Looks like maybe one of the leads hung up?

More
12 years 5 months ago #5661 by billspad
Assuming it was supposed to be dual deploy, you wired the charges backwards. When the apogee charge fires the top and bottom sections separate a little but not completely until the chute that was in the top part opens.

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #5665 by jcsalem
You got it, Bill!

Further, you can see the unexploded drouge ejection canister waving in the wind on the way down. Eventually, you see that it fires (at the main height).

Before the video, I was trying to figure out why my shear pins hadn't kept nosecone on at apogee! I'd never thought I would've mis-wired it! :dry:

More
12 years 5 months ago #5669 by billspad

You got it, Bill!

What do I win?

Further, you can see the unexploded drouge ejection canister waving in the wind on the way down. Eventually, you see that it fires (at the main height).

It's hard to see that using the Youtube player. I had to download the video so I could view it in a player that would let me step through the frames one at a time.

Before the video, I was trying to figure out why my shear pins hadn't kept nosecone on at apogee! I'd never thought I would've mis-wired it! :dry:

I've caught myself doing that a couple of times and I suspect there were a couple of other times that I didn't catch the mistake.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5670 by KennB

I've caught myself doing that a couple of times and I suspect there were a couple of other times that I didn't catch the mistake.

:pinch: Must stay away from the easy ones. Must stay away from the easy ones. Must.....