× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Howard's Rocket Lands in a Tree (video)

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #5651 by jcsalem
Here's a video from the October 22nd launch where Howard's Vertical Assault lands in a 100'+ tall tree.

We finally managed to pull the rocket out of the tree at the November 19th launch. The recovery used a professional slingshot, 6' tall. I'll let Howard detail that adventure (including our valuable lesson that standing directly under the rocket while yanking on it isn't very smart). :ohmy:

Amazingly, the tiny video camera, taped on with masking tape, was still attached.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5653 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Howard's Rocket Lands in a Tree (video)
At 1:58 there's a flash from what I assume is the charge for the main chute. Did the main come out on it's own earlier?

More
12 years 5 months ago #5654 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Howard's Rocket Lands in a Tree (video)

At 1:58 there's a flash from what I assume is the charge for the main chute. Did the main come out on it's own earlier?

Yup - the main came out at apogee or what looks like from the video maybe even a bit earlier. Serves me right for not using shear pins. The main was supposed to come out at 500 ft. which would have dropped the rocket well before the trees.

The Rdas altimeter was fine as well so after I download the data, I should be able to calculate the hight of the rocket in the tree.

I'm putting together an article in the "How To" section on using "Sling Shot Recovery" for pulling rockets out of large trees. This is the sling shot I used: Sherrill Tree Big Shot .
I'll be putting some images of the recovery up in the gallery as well.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5656 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Howard's Rocket Lands in a Tree (video)
Fun video.

Long recovery time.

How high did it go?

More
12 years 4 months ago #5684 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Howard's Rocket Lands in a Tree (video)

Fun video.

Long recovery time.

How high did it go?

Finally got a chance to download the data off the RDAS (had a house full of relatives for T-Giving that just left today). It went up to 2347 ft and according to the altimeter landed and stuck in the tree at 84 ft.