× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

High power certification question

• harleybagpiper
  • harleybagpiper's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #5508 by harleybagpiper
High power certification question was created by harleybagpiper
I was wondering how i could gather a certification team for a level one attempt. I am both a member of CMASS and of the NAR, but cannot attend the members because of where we live. How would I find members willing to be on my certification team?

Thanks
Chris
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by harleybagpiper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #5509 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: High power certification question
Attend any CMASS Amesbury launch ready to fly a rocket on an H or I motor.

Robert DeHate of AMW attends many CMASS launches and can sell you an HP motor for your L1 attempt.

How far along are you in the preparation process?
Have you read up on HP rocketry?
Have you built a rocket?

• harleybagpiper
  • harleybagpiper's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 7 months ago #5525 by harleybagpiper
Replied by harleybagpiper on topic Re: High power certification question
I've re-read up on hp rocketry, and have my model ready to go. I also have my motor, apogee rockets allowed me to purchase one motor for my certification launch.

Chris

More
12 years 6 months ago #5537 by cvause
Replied by cvause on topic Re: High power certification question
I'm planning on attempting my L1 cert on Oct 22 in Amesbury. I want to make sure I have everything I need.

1. LOC Fantom with both rail buttons and a LOC launch lug
2. Aerotech 38 RMS with G61 and H123 (single L1 cert special) reloads
3. NAR paperwork.

My key questions are around the certifying procedure. My plan is to first flight the rocket on the G61 and then attempt the cert flight with the H123. Do the certifying witnesses need to watch me assemble the H123 reload? Also, it's my understanding that the igniter can not be inserted into the motor until the rocket is on the high power pad. Is that correct?

any other help is welcome.

Thanks
Carl

More
12 years 6 months ago #5538 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: High power certification question

I'm planning on attempting my L1 cert on Oct 22 in Amesbury. I want to make sure I have everything I need.

1. LOC Fantom with both rail buttons and a LOC launch lug
2. Aerotech 38 RMS with G61 and H123 (single L1 cert special) reloads
3. NAR paperwork.

My key questions are around the certifying procedure. My plan is to first flight the rocket on the G61 and then attempt the cert flight with the H123. Do the certifying witnesses need to watch me assemble the H123 reload? Also, it's my understanding that the igniter can not be inserted into the motor until the rocket is on the high power pad. Is that correct?

any other help is welcome.

Thanks
Carl

Carl,
It looks like you have most of the basics. You'll also need to bring along your current NAR membership card, too. I don't know if it a requirement but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an L1 or better (there are always plenty around) watch you assemble the motor. The ignitor out of the motor for mid- and high-power rockets is just a good safety practice. Generally, the ignitor will be taped to the outside of the rocket when it comes up to the Safety Check table.

I wish you well on your attempt. It will be one more cause for celebration on that day and Fliskits will provide the CAKE.
Kenn

More
12 years 6 months ago #5539 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: High power certification question
Carl,

As Kenn says, taping the ignitor to the outside of the model is a good safety procedure for Mid power and High Power motors - there are some cases though where the pyrogen end of the ignitor will not fit through the nozzle but the other end will. In these cases, since you can no longer insert the ignitor once the motor is assembled, it will need to be inserted during motor assembly. It is a good idea to check to make sure the ignitor can be inserted through the nozzle before assembly. Otherwise it makes for a frustrating time at the pad.

Guy.