× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 7 months ago #10090 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
Thanks Guy. Any recommendations for a battery? The wall-wart charger I have for it states 12v-400ma over a 24hr max charge.

I know next to nothing about battery technology. I was happy enough with the battery (when it worked!) for lighting clusters and copperheads - I think that I would still like something that can put some fire behind some clusters.

-- Todd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #10091 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
Here is a battery that Guy recommended. I recently purchased one.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DL9IBC/ref...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More
3 years 7 months ago #10092 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
Frank has already responded with the link to my go to recommendation for a battery. Taken care of, it should last many years and is at least twice the battery that you were using.
A good rule of thumb for battery charging is to take the stated capacity and divide by 5 to 10 for the charge rate. So for example, the newly recommended battery is a 5 Ah battery, so a charger that can charge at a 500 ma to 1000 ma rate would be about right. The faster you charge, the more heat generated in the battery as it charges. Heat is an enemy for a battery's longevity.
BTW, I just checked the battery on the charger. Even though the analog meter for the charger says about 2 amps, the battery is not getting warm at all, and I suspect it is not really getting much if any of a charge. Also, analog meters on dumb car battery chargers are not all that accurate.

Guy,

More
3 years 7 months ago #10093 by MALBAR70
Replied by MALBAR70 on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
Thanks a lot Guy!
That plug was a cheap one that I probably got at Walmart. Thanks for replacing it. I knew the screw was stripped, but didn't even consider that that was the he problem with the beeper, again ,thanks.
I will be at the the launch on the 5th, see you then.

More
3 years 7 months ago #10094 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
I just took my charger out of the box and actually read the directions.
I ended up getting the NOCO Genius 1 charger from Amazon.
It is a 1 amp hour charger which is what I used to use for my motorcycle batteries. We used to call it a trickle charger.

The battery is 12 volt AGM, whatever AGM means.
What I like about the charger is that it has several LED indicators.
Right now the charge LED is pulsing green which means "Battery charge complete, optimizing battery for extended life"

Here is the URL for the charger on Amazon.
www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-Fully-Automa...TRHRM9VDWSEMP49E30K5

More
3 years 7 months ago #10095 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
Google is your friend:

An AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery contains a special glass mat separator that wicks the electrolyte solution between the battery plates. This material's design enables the fiberglass to be saturated with electrolyte – and to store the electrolyte in a “dry” or suspended state rather than in free liquid form.