× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Contest Flying at CMASS

More
9 years 4 months ago #7710 by jbuscaglia
Replied by jbuscaglia on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS

Based on this feedback, my plan is as follows:

I'll choose events designed to attract beginners and non-competitive fliers to participate. There's a vote for A HD, so I'll probably honor that, and it can be the difficult event. If possible I'll include some NARAM events for those of us that may go to NARAM this year.

The date will be set once the flying season schedule is posted on the website and I'll take care of the paperwork and announcements etc. with the NAR.

The name will be AWEFUL 2, unless I find out we've had a more recent launch.

Lastly, because the club doesn't typically do contest flying I'll put together a 1 page flyer on the events and contest to try and get some people to attend.

Thanks, Doug

Actually, it was AWFUL (Amesbury Woodsom Farm Unnamed Local). We did Too AWFUL and Tres AWFUL, then switched to using the year when we ran out of puns. I don't remember how many we did in total. So, it should be AWFUL 2015 if you want to continue the tradition.

Thanks for volunteering to do this,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #7711 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS

we ran out of puns.

Hard to believe.

Thanks for volunteering to do this,

ditto

More
9 years 4 months ago #7712 by jbuscaglia
Replied by jbuscaglia on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS

we ran out of puns.

Hard to believe.

I know. It pained me to admit that.

More
9 years 3 months ago #7723 by DanTyszka1966
Replied by DanTyszka1966 on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS
Hi Doug,

Jumping onto this thread a little late...

If you're still collecting ideas for events, I might be interested in participating in a B Streamer Duration event at an upcoming CMASS launch

I've been dabbling with the NARTREK program and trying to achieve some of the milestones using kit models. Haven't yet been able to achieve the 30 sec B SD reqt just yet with a kit model. I've never done contest flying before and don't see myself becoming a serious contest flyer...I fly mainly for fun with my son. But would like to give it a try if you and CMASS are up for running an event next spring/summer...if for no other reason than to see other peoples' streamer duration design concepts. A contest would be a great learning opportunity for those interested in solving particular rocketry problems of interest. My experience has been that I tend to learn a lot at every CMASS launch just by walking around, seeing what folks are up to, and talking to them about their projects. A contest like this would be a great opportunity for folks to share learning in niche areas of general interest.

Thanks for stepping-up to organize this contest!

More
9 years 3 months ago #7724 by bobkrech
Replied by bobkrech on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS
B SD is a fun event.

BTW the record is 499 seconds!

Bob

More
9 years 3 months ago #7725 by davisolzoe
Replied by davisolzoe on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS
Where can I find the complete rules for all rocket competition events?
the NAR website seems to only show partial requirements, not specific requirements of the rocket itself...