× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

L1 in my future

More
11 years 5 months ago #6313 by Sully
Replied by Sully on topic Re: L1 in my future
I have had good luck with West Systems using the plastic metering pumps (an alternative to weighing out resin and hardener portions) and adding colloidal silica for thickness for fillets and other places where I don't want the epoxy to run too much. This gives you total control over the thickness (just keep adding silica until it's "just right").

Epoxy is one of those topics that can get near-religious type fervor generated when rocketeers discuss it, but, as Alex mentioned, unless you're doing some extreme flying it will all be adequate if your technique is decent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #6315 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: L1 in my future
I do not want to be in the weighing business, so a system approach sounds much better. Any preferred vendors?

As to 'extreme flying', my goal is to build a very solid rocket that could hold up under higher powered engines than the H I plan to use for cert. So I want to go beyond 'adequate' and approach 'great'...

More
11 years 5 months ago #6316 by Sully
Replied by Sully on topic Re: L1 in my future
I bought it at a marine supply place in Worcester. There are some West Marine stores around too, and I assume they carry the epoxy line. I have used the 206 hardener and the 406 filler. I think the pumps come separately.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #6317 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: L1 in my future
As Austin Heisey recently found out on the first attempt at his Jr Level 1 , it's a good idea to use JB Weld on the motor mount instead of epoxy. Epoxy will melt with the heat of bigger motors where JB Weld will not. After rebuilding the mount with JB Weld he had a successful Jr Level 1 flight. You can usually pick the stuff up at any hardware store.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by hgreenblatt. Reason: Added link

More
11 years 5 months ago #6318 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic Re: L1 in my future
Also, take special care with epoxy on motor mounts and motor retainers. Some epoxy can become soft at 120F. HPR motors may become much hotter than this on their exterior. JBWeld epoxy can withstand high heat and something like this should be used on motor mounts around the motor and retainers. Ask my son ... his retainer came unglued on his first Jr L1 attempt. Curtis

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #6319 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: L1 in my future
There's a good article on epoxy in one of our old Sentinel issues issues.

There are a bunch of old issues on the website but they're a little difficult to find. If you're interested, look here .
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by billspad. Reason: can't spell