× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

L1 in my future

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #6321 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: L1 in my future
Very helpful tip on the JBWeld - I'm going to get some for the motor mount assembly and the retainer (bought the 38mm AeroPack). I bought the West Systems epoxy (quart of 105-A resin, 1/2 pint each of the 206-A slow and 205-A fast hardener, plus the pumps) - should be enough for many rockets.

Update: the kit arrived in the mail yesterday morning. Couple of observations on the Super DX3 that I'd appreciate comments on:

1. It only uses two centering rings for the motor mount. But given the length of the mount, and where the fin tangs will attach, I can easily see adding a third ring and positioning it so that the tip of the fin tangs butt right against the (added) middle ring. Seems a bit flimsy without a 3rd ring...

2. On that same topic, if I were to follow the instructions that came with the kit, I would fully construct and then install the motor mount before mounting and bonding the fins. This would make it impossible to get any fillets where the fins bond to the motor mount tube. Assuming I go with 3 centering rings, I am considering:

- assemble and bond the two forward rings to the motor mount tube
- install and bond this partial assembly into the main body tube
- use some wood shims to temporarily center the aft end of the motor mount tube (though it should be pretty well centered from the two forward rings)
- install and bond the fins
- then (since the aft centering ring is off) get fillets on the fin tang - motor mount tube interface
- finally, install and bond the aft centering ring and the AeroPack retainer.

3. The more I read about motor-based single deployment, the more nervous I get. I am seriously considering modifying the kit to be altimeter-based dual deployment. It would be pretty straight forward and (at least from my back of the envelope calculations) would still be a stable configuration.

Chances of getting this bird in the air before spring are pretty slim, so my feeling is that I have a couple of months to get all of this right.

Thanks,
- Matt
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by mlaudato.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #6323 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: L1 in my future
My thoughts are two centering rings should be just fine, especially if the fin tabs make it all the way to the motor tube. If you want to make the motor mount and fin can truely bullet proof, use some 2-part foam to fill up the motor mount/fins/body tube volume and then put the rear centering ring on. Won't need any internal fillets on the fins and neither the motor mount nor the fins are going to go anywhere. Just tack the fins to the motor mount before foaming.

• mlaudato
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #6343 by mlaudato
On the JBWeld, I'm thinking about using the 'original' cold weld formula steel reinforced epoxy for everything that touches the motor mount tube. Seems like strong stuff, heat resistant to 550F. Should finally get to work on the kit this week.

• mlaudato
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #6350 by mlaudato
Good progress on the DX3. Used JBWeld to assemble the motor mount & on the fin tangs that hit the motor mount; 2-step (quick unthinned layer followed by thickened) West Systems 105/205 (fast) epoxy on everything else. If my test bonds on scrap plywood and body tubes are any indication, this should be a pretty solid can. Getting ready to do the fin fillets (will again use the thickened 105/205 for this). Could be ready for prep-for-finishing this weekend!

I found the West Systems 205 to be pretty easy to use. It is workable for about 15 minutes, which is more than enough for this (fairly simple to build) rocket. I tried the 206 (slow) on some of my test bonds, but it was way too slow to set.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by mlaudato. Reason: Better fincan image

More
11 years 5 months ago #6351 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: L1 in my future
Looks like the angry little guy in the upper right corner of the photo is critically checking out your work. Is he the commander of the ship?

• mlaudato
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #6352 by mlaudato
Hah! Just noticed that! We pretty much live in a toy store, care of our 6yr old son!