Estes Saturn V

More
5 years 4 months ago #9289 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Estes Saturn V
I had all but given up hope of ever getting the much converted re-release of the Estes Saturn V kit. I'm not going to hoard it or resell it at a big profit. I'm going to build it and fly it. Hopefully everyone else in the club that wants one will be able to get one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeltaVee
  • DeltaVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #9291 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Estes Saturn V
That's what I had in mind for mine...

More
5 years 3 months ago #9302 by deangelo54
FedEx delivered the Saturn V kit to my house on Christmas Eve. I have since looked at the contents and the instructions. This kit does not look easy to build. This is more than three fins and a nose cone. It has vacuformed wrapping and requires different kinds of adhesives. Has anyone ever worked on something like this before?

• DeltaVee
  • DeltaVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #9305 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Estes Saturn V
Yes I have... the original Centuri Saturn V and the Estes "2157" Saturn V (most recent release prior to this one) was a lot like this one. both are a major PITA to mask thanks to the details. The original Estes Saturn V had embossed paper wraps which you used normal glues on. You had this big wrap around that went on the rocket after painting and you used a stick pin to mark out the detail placements. Then you trimmed the wraps in places and glued the details on. Upside? Easier to paint... downside? You need a steady hand!

For the wrappers I suggest Scotch photomount permanent spray adhesive. The Centuri Saturn came with capsules of contact cement. You *could* use that. Scotch photomount is easier to apply in a uniform layer and is esentially the same dang thing.

Just remember... this is a labor of love, Frank, not to be taken upon lightly! I'm finally finishing my Centuri Saturn V more than 40 YEARS after the initial assembly. I just spent 4 HOURS masking the S-IC-S-II interstage and decals. It's getting it's main coat of paint tomorrow. (Centuri has you paint it black first because masking is actually EASIER!!!!)
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by DeltaVee.

More
5 years 3 months ago #9308 by deangelo54
After reading the instructions I thought that maybe I should have waited for Apogee to release the Zephyr. LOL. It just might take me until the 60th anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch before I finish this kit. Maybe you can help me out over the next two winters. Ha Ha.

More
5 years 3 months ago #9314 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Estes Saturn V
I built a 2157-era Saturn V about 16 years ago, using instructions from someone that I downloaded from "rocketryonline" (remember that?). Using that and the Estes instructions was very helpful at the time. Unfortunately, I only have the hardcopy now.

The equivalent today might be Chris Michielssen's blog. Here's a post where he makes available a condensed form of all of his blog posts on building the 2157:

modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2016/09...posts-book-form.html