× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Equipment / Supplies

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #11784 by larrylf
Equipment / Supplies was created by larrylf
Hello All-
I've been out of the hobby about 15 years, and am new to the east coast.  I used to fly mostly L2 & L3 rockets (mostly Tripoli events), but, of course, I need to recertify.  It looks like its difficult to do L2 around here - or haven't I looked hard enough?

What I would like to know, and couldn't find in the FAQ, is what equipment I can expect at the field - pad sizes, rod sizes, rails?
and are there vendors I site? - I'm used to buying all my motors on-site.  If motors are not available on-site, where do most you get motors (G and up) ?

Thanks for any help-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #11785 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Equipment / Supplies
You can certainly do an L2. IF the wind is cooperating... as in away from the power lines... And if you can keep the altitude reasonably under control. I'm not sure of our waiver but maybe around 2500 ft ... Someone will correct me if it's wrong...
we've got 1010, 1515, hpr pads, and appropriate rod sizes.  

L3 is not feasible but L2 is if you build big n heavy!  For L3, the Champlain club near Burlington Vt seems a good possibility 
Last edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by DeltaVee.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #11788 by larrylf
Replied by larrylf on topic Equipment / Supplies
Thank you!
Most my L2 stuff would go higher then 2500', but its nice to know I can at least recertify (assuming others are willing to take part). Even if I have to (*gasp*) build a new rocket of the appropriate weight...

I'll look at the Vermont club for higher altitude launches, or I think I saw a NY Tripoli prefecture. L3 isn't an issue - it was fun, but I'm not sure I wan't to pay for it anymore (besides, I sold off my 4" cases when I moved here)

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #11789 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic Equipment / Supplies
As for vendors and motors, Wildman Rick of Conn. comes to some of our launches and he is an excellent source of high power motors.  Unfortunately, he will not be at the August launch.  He is such a good local source, if I was really in need of some high power motors, I might see if he was at any local launches over weekends we don't fly.  Rick's e-mail address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

There is also an active thread here in the forum for his activity here:

Wild Man Rick is Coming to Action in July and August

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #11791 by larrylf
Replied by larrylf on topic Equipment / Supplies
Good enough - I won't be able to make the August launch anyway, but I'm mostly just trying to get a feel for what the set-up is here. I haven't had a chance to renew my LEUP yet, anyway.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #11792 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Equipment / Supplies
You no longer need a LEUP for motor storage. NAR and TRA won their case before the Supreme Court and our rocket motors are no longer on the list of items that need the permit. Black powder and some igniters may still be on the list. That's one reason Estes changed their igniters to starters with a different material on the tip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpikeTony, Gerry