× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

News from the Acton field....

• DeltaVee
  • DeltaVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #11733 by DeltaVee
News from the Acton field.... was created by DeltaVee
It turns out yesterday, the Cricketers were gone by 2 pm. and the airplane guys were there.  Evidently cricketeers left on time and w/o a fuss according to Jimmy and the rest of the airplane guys.  They were happy to share the field with me and Frank so long as we let them know what we were up to and when... so Frank and I had a little bandit action.  It was blisteringly hot and I stayed under the canopy for most of the time!  Frank got 4 launches in.  I got one launch of my leviathan in... and it went well but landed on the side of the road on the rocks and then got dragged onto the road for a bit o road rash.    Stinks when a well-finished model ends up like that.... but that's not why I'm posting this...

It seems that a farmer (NOT the one that has the land across the street) has planted corn in the field from the oak tree all the way to route 2.  It's been (up until now) just a hay field... now however the corn appears to be that cow-oriented variant that grows TALL and grows FAST.  It's at LEAST shoulder height... so next saturday, if the weather is ok, and the wind is toward the NE, make sure you read the field because if you drop something in that area... you're gonna be searching for a while!   Plan accordingly...  you've been warned :-)

JPP
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by DeltaVee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #11738 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic News from the Acton field....
In June of 2019 I attended a CATO launch in Durham, CT. The grass was very high. I learned from one of the CATO members that if you add a long streamer along with your chute, the streamer will stay on top of the grass. I don't know if this works with corn but it is better than not trying.

Another solution I leaned was to use one of those $10.00 keychain beepers.
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.