× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

The Bandits Strike Again

More
3 years 10 months ago #9983 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The Bandits Strike Again
I just sent you an email through the CMASS website.
If I end up going to Acton this weekend I will let you know.
So far it is looking like rain for both Saturday and Sunday.
Don't worry about launch pads, I have two. If you have an extra launch controller by all means bring it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred Cobey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #9984 by deangelo54
Sunday's weather is starting to look better. I have a kit I resurrected I may fly plus, my friend's dad built his first rocket that he wants to fly. I'm looking toward 9:30 AM.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9985 by Fred Cobey
Replied by Fred Cobey on topic The Bandits Strike Again
any further thoughts on a launch tomorrow?
Thanks so much.
Fred Cobey 617 935 3727

More
3 years 9 months ago #9986 by deangelo54
Linda and I arrived in Acton at 9:30 AM on Sunday. We were met by CMASS member Fred C. and his incredibly intelligent six-year-old son James. James was all set for the launch of his Mercury Redstone rocket wearing an official NASA space suit and helmet.

Launch time from Pad 39A (AKA my Pratt Hobbies knock off pad), was scheduled for 10:01 AM EDST. The Redstone lifted off perfectly and cleared the launch rod powered by an Estes C6-5. It arced toward the trees but with the wind blowing toward Rt 2, we were not concerned.

After burn out and loss of momentum, the Redstone was heading Earth bound at 32' per second/per second. It was touch and go at that point. All I could think of was that the escape tower is not going to come out of this too well. Suddenly, at the last possible moment, the 15" chute ejected and fully deployed. Whew, that was a close one. We had a bunch of people here about to turn blue.

For the second launch, I provided James with a C6-3 which worked perfectly with no drama.

I got in 5 launches before the rain came in hot and heavy. Dan P. and his crew from JP Rocketeers, NAR Section 845 arrived shortly before the rain so they were able to put up a few flights. Those that waited for the weather to clear were able to get in more flights.

I'm looking toward early Sunday for another launch in Acton. Hope to see some of you there.
Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #9988 by deangelo54
Greetings Fellow Bandits.
I'm looking toward's Sunday.
Setup at 9:30 AM, start flying at 10:00 AM.
If anyone is interested in Sunday, let me know.

With Saturday being the 4th of July, people or the police will think we are lighting up fireworks.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by deangelo54.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9989 by Rild99
Replied by Rild99 on topic The Bandits Strike Again
Still launching tomorrow?