× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Loc Precision Rocket Kits

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #9828 by deangelo54
Loc Precision Rocket Kits was created by deangelo54
So far this winter I built a Lil' Diter and a Loc 1 Big Nuke. I'm in the process of building a Lil' Nuke. I have a Loc Forte' still in the box. Loc has really stepped it up since I built a Loc Onyx for a friend of mine several years ago. Even the Loc 1 Big Nuke, which has a 1" body tube, has through the wall fins.

The directions could be better but if you are an experienced builder they are not a problem. The only modifications I have made for the larger kits is to use 10/10 rail buttons. You have to come up with your own positive engine retention.

I was wondering if other CMASS members have Loc kits and would like to share their building and flying experiences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #9829 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Loc Precision Rocket Kits
I have/built the Graduator, Viper III, LOC IV, Aura, and have other kits ready to build. Directions are sparse but good enough for an experienced builder. I always add 1010 rail buttons, sometimes also use the 1/4" lug. Also always add positive motor retention, sometimes scratch built Kaplow clips, other times commercially available styles. I don't use the molded nose cone shock cord attachment point, I use an epoxied screw eye/eye bolt in the bottom center hole instead. For me, paint is always optional. Also always use epoxy for construction. Overall good solid medium to high power kits. They fly well and stand up to multiple launches almost as well as fiberglass kits.

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #9837 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Loc Precision Rocket Kits
Sounds like you have some great kits. I do nearly everything you do. For the nose cone I attache kevlar line to the shock cord attachment point and tie the other end to the actual shock cord. I tie the chute to the shock cord so that the nose cone does not carry any weight other than itself. I like your idea of epoxying an eye bolt to the nose cone.

Definitely 10/10 rail buttons. I don't bother with the launch lugs.
I also use store bought positive engine retainers. Alternatively I use threaded inserts in the rear centering ring along with mirror clips sold at Michael's Arts and Crafts.