2 weeks 1 day ago - 1 week 2 days ago#9089by Frank DeAngelo
During the winter we had a topic concerning off season projects. I was wondering if anyone is currently working on or recently completed a kit?
This weekend I painted and put on the decals for an Estes Astron Sprint XL. The only difference from the package is that I painted the boat tail red instead of white.
I started working on an Estes Executioner to replace the one that landed in the trees at the August 25th Berwick launch. I'm waiting for some parts from Apogee Components. I'm going to replace the 1/8 balsa fins with 1/8 birchwood. A&P wood working in East Boston cut out the fins I used in the Leviathan.
Next time I order black powder engines online or visit the Hoppy Emporium I will buy a Red Nova. That is a nice kit.
1 week 2 days ago - 6 days 5 hours ago#9095by Frank DeAngelo
All the parts are in from AC Supply and Apogee Components. The Fins should be ready by Wednesday. Estes must have included an engine tube with a larger OD. I had to sand it down in order for the 24mm Rocketarium engine retainer to fit. The included Estes plastic retainer fits fine but I won't be using it.
Other modifications include rail buttons, an Estes 24 inch nylon chute, plywood CRs and a shock cord other than the elastic one that comes with the kit. The shock cord will connect to a 5/32 eye bolt screwed into the forward CR.
Looking ahead, I welcome any suggestions for a paint scheme.
I would like to get this flying for the October 6th CMASS launch in Amesbury, painted or not.
Too many projects... mostly at the "time to paint this sucker bottleneck..." (I kind of hate painting but I used to not paint ANYTHING so now I insist on doing it!!!)
Listed (not necessarily in order of priority)
1) Estes Ventris (picked up from the spare time shop). Built, ready for primer
2) Aerotech astrobee D (purchased in 1996 finally started gluing stuff about a year ago) primered but in need of sanding and initial painting (prior to fin attachement)
3) 1/130th Saturn I block two (see "art of scale model rocketry). All parts (except external gewgaws) ready for paint prior to assembly. I cant decide if I'm going to bother to fill the tube spirals or not.
4) Centuri Saturn V (purchased in 1973 and mostly built) restarted this past july. I finally attached the basswood tunnels, tried to clean it up as much as possible...
I've got to get off my gluteous maximus and finish ONE of these things at least before the season is over. Most likely it'll be the ventris as it's the least complicated!!!!
2 days 22 hours ago - 2 days 22 hours ago#9101by Frank DeAngelo
Your comment concerning painting the Astrobee before fin attachment caught my attention. I have always started painting after fin attachment. I guess with the Aerotech snap in fins you can paint before attachment. That Aerobee does look like a nice kit.
I've been dragging my feet with the Executioner. I got the basswood fins back from the wood working shop so now I have no excuse. I am a streak builder. I need to get into the zone then I go all out and pay strict attention to detail.
My Leviathan suffered some damage so I'll be buying some parts from Estes to repair that rocket. Boris gave me a bunch of body tubes but they are not compatible with Estes tubes. They are significantly thicker. I think they are either Madcow or Loc tubes.