× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

last launch..

More
10 years 6 months ago #6939 by jlnel
last launch.. was created by jlnel
Is 11/16 the last launch or does it become weather dependent through the winter? I want to do L2 but I don't want to rush the build. I know I can get it built and have it fly but I want to work on some dual deploy test fires.

I have the Madcow Torrent and the build I think will go fine, but as far as the deployment, what would the best way to go if dual deployment was to be put on the back burner till spring? I have a set of cable cutters, but kinda unsure how to mount them( altimeter in NC?).

If I cant figure it out, could I bring the e-bay and whatnot to a meeting for some dual deploy help rigging the bay up?

Thanks everyone, John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6940 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: last launch..
That's our last launch of the year. I believe MMMSC has one or two in December. OUr next lalunch in Amesbury will be next April.

Rushing an L2 build hardly ever goes well. I recommend taking your time over the winter to get it perfect before you fly it.

I've used the cable cutters a few times. Come to a meeting in December and I'll show you how I used mine.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6941 by jlnel
Replied by jlnel on topic Re: last launch..
Sounds good. Ill get rocket together but hold on the bay for now. Thanks, John.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6942 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: last launch..
MMMSClub has only one launch scheduled after the last CMASS launch; 21 December.

Obviously, a very tricky time of year to count on good weather. Even if it's not too bad, wouldn't you rather fiddle with electronics in April?

More
10 years 6 months ago #6943 by jlnel
Replied by jlnel on topic Re: last launch..
I suppose it would be best to put it off till nicer weather.

If I could do it as single deploy I may think about it. I'm sure it is tough to work the electronics in could weather with gloves etc. but work has slowed to a crawl and not much else going on at the moment like to have a big winter project.

For electronics I have a: Raven3, 2 PerfectFlite SL100s and a Missile Works RRC2+. I have a pair of cable cutters and the rocket kit. The rocket will take no time to put together and I think to get a good grasp on the dual deploy should be to bad. The electronics shouldn't be bad, Boris showed me the Raven setup when his son was setting it up one day, the RRc2+ is straight forward, SL100s, not sure yet.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using the dual deploy till I have ground tested and the single deploy with cable cutters seems the best way to go for a simple single deploy but, not so simple, not sure how to connect/ mount altimeter for that application and the how it ties into the rest of the recovery harness.

Maybe I will use the Sumo and make a bulkhead for the nose cone and put a little sled in there just to start to gather data on something??

April is sooo far away!!!

More
10 years 6 months ago #6944 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: last launch..
Whenever I get a new altimeter I fly it in a low power rocket to be sure it works and I understand how it works. I'll hook up all the charges but the motor will deploy the recovery system. You may have seen the rockets at the last couple of launches. They have a mess of wires taped on the outside because they don't have to be pretty.