× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

sugar rocket motors

More
10 years 6 months ago #6916 by jlnel
sugar rocket motors was created by jlnel
I was just wondering if there are alternatives to commercial motors. I have viewed a few vids on RCandy motors, if anyone makes them? First, are they ok'ed to launch at Amesbury, second, I would like to learn and experiment but want to view it and learn from someone local..(lol, no one local to the cape I bet), that would help guide me along. Thanks, John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6917 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: sugar rocket motors
John,
CMASS is a chapter of the NAR and we use their safety code. The section on Motors reads:

Motors. I will use only certified, commercially-made model rocket motors, and will not tamper with these motors or use them for any purposes except those recommended by the manufacturer.

Sugar motors are interesting but can't be used at any CMASS launches. As far as I know, you could possibly use them at a Tripoli Experimental Launch but that is a whole different group.

There are some members of our club that have a good familiarity with these so you can have a discussion at a meeting or a launch. Just keep it on the theoretical level.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6918 by jlnel
Replied by jlnel on topic Re: sugar rocket motors
Not a problem. Winter is coming quick and thought it would be interesting but not being able to launch I think time best spent elsewhere in the cold days approaching. Kenn, thanks for the response, John.