× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Fine day flying at Berwick 10/5/2013

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #6822 by mlaudato
Fine day flying at Berwick 10/5/2013 was created by mlaudato
OK, so it's our sibling club and not CMASS, but what a great day.

Relatively small turnout, perhaps a dozen or so cars. We had about 60 flights by 2pm, not quite sure if we hit 100 for the day. Kenn would know. He was our LCO for the day and a couple of us took turns relieving Scott at RSO.

For me and son Carmine, it was a day of firsts:

1. First E engine, which also turned out to be...

2. First CATO. The motor just blew through the top of the rocket (my Mega Alpha) taking the motor mount with it. Airframe intact though, so I get a chance to rebuild it properly. Filed the MESS report and reported to Estes.

3. First cluster flight(s). We flew the Deuce's Wild on 2xA8-3 and then later on 2xB6-4. What a nice flying bird! I can see why people scale these up. It's my new favorite rocket.

4. First I motor. I flew the Super DX3 in dual deploy mode up to nearly 1700' on a CTI I170. Good flight and recovery.

5. First real-time telemetry. The XBee that I fly in the DX3 altimeter bay worked this week and a lucky few in the crowd got to see the altitude data plotting real-time on my PC, and to see me very excited, for it was wicked cool! For the geeks, it goes like this:

Perfectfilte data port -> On-board XBee DIN -> On-board XBee transmit into the ether -> Ground Station XBee receives -> Ground station XBee DOUT to PC Serial port -> Processing sketch reads serial port and plots the data real-time. (Also, ground from PF data port is ganged to the XBee ground so that there is a common reference for the data signal).

The ground station is much simplified from my first attempt last week at Amesbury. I realized that I didn't need to use the Arduino microcontroller at all. The XBee acts as a serial pipe, so it was easy to use Processing to read directly from the serial port that the ground XBee was writing to. When in doubt, do as much as possible in software!

I think me and the DX3 are ready for L2. I'll ask to take the test (maybe even show up in Saugus on the 15th to do so at a club meeting), and assuming I pass, will try to fly the DX3 on a J-something in Amesbury on the 19th. With main at 500' I should be able to safely fly and recover on the hay field, wind permitting.

- Matt
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by mlaudato. Reason: clarified ground connection for data port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #6823 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Fine day flying at Berwick 10/5/2013
Very nice write-up, Matt. Your excitement about the live stream was easily heard from the Flight line all the way to the Launch table.

We did end up with just over 100 flights. Mine was #98; sorry you weren't still around to see me actually put one up. I swapped a Road Runner G for a RR F with Jim Moe as I didin't trust my RR E motor's 4 second delay and didn't want to fly too high even with the near perfect conditions we had all day. I loaded up on Pad #4, moved across to the road and Scott counted it down and pushed the button. The F's 5 second delay was just right. As the rocket drifted back down on it chute, I walked along the road to keep pace with it and most people at the launch table started to walk away to prep tearing down and loading up. Well, the breeze was just right and my pace matched the rocket as I didn't have to move at all from side-to-side to reach up and grab the body tube just as we met in three dimensions. Fortunately, Bill Sieger was still watching so I have one witness to this feat. The newly intalled motor reteainer worked well so this will give me a vehicle to use up some of the AT reloads I pulled out of the "FREE" box.

I believe only one rocket went off the field as in over or into the trees; Alex put his Pershing up on a V-Max from a 4-foot rod and the whip arced it back over the crowd and woods. He went to look for it but no one remembers seeing him after that so we don't know if he recovered it or not (hope the moose and squirrel didn't get him!). Rob Hoffman found a very weatherd AT Initiator while looking for one of his rockets lost at an earlier launch so it seems we at least broke even.

A few new fliers and a pair of spectators who got bit by the rocket bug and will be flying up there soon. All in all, a very nice day at our sister club's field.

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago #6824 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Fine day flying at Berwick 10/5/2013
Darn, I have still yet to see a Kenn Blade flight! Sorry, it's tough with the long ride home to leave much later than 4:30. Next time I'm sans-Carmine I'll stay to help break camp.

I'm sure after about 100 or so more telemetry flights the excitement will wear off! I've been wanting to fly some sort of telemetry rig since I was a kid and read about the 'Wee-watter' in the first edition of HOMR (I still have my library-bound copy). This setup worked as designed and is a good base for more sophisticated telemetry payloads.

I'll be making and testing some mods to the software to save the data to a file as well as to render the plot both to the screen and to a PDF file (latter so I can post here).

- Matt

More
10 years 7 months ago #6825 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Fine day flying at Berwick 10/5/2013

Mine was #98;

Pictures or it never happened.

More
10 years 7 months ago #6826 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Fine day flying at Berwick 10/5/2013

Mine was #98;

Pictures or it never happened.

No pictures, please. ;)

All I can offer for proof is a properly filled out flight card that was dually checked (by a single person). Someone may have a photo but I think most were thinking about getting out of Dodge at that point. :blink:

You'll just have to trust me, Bill. Would an Ambassador lie? :evil: Where can I get a red sash?

More
10 years 7 months ago #6827 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Fine day flying at Berwick 10/5/2013

You'll just have to trust me, Bill. Would an Ambassador lie? :evil: Where can I get a red sash?

If you promise to wear it all day at every launch I will personally sew one for you.