× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Questions regarding a L1 attempt

More
10 years 7 months ago #6765 by Doc
I have just about finished building a DX-3 that I got for Christmas, just finishing the paint and want to ground test the DD system. I haven't bought a motor yet and wonder what the vendors at the launches carry or can we order. I haven't been to a launch yet this year to ask in person. Do they carry aeoTech or Cesseroni? Also where do you get the black powder and do I need an FID card in Mass. to get a 1 lb can of FFFFg or do I need to get pyrodex?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #6766 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Questions regarding a L1 attempt
Hey Steve,
AMW/ProX sell Cesseroni at the CMASS and MMMSClub launches (lots of others around the country, too). When Robert and Gloria aren't in attendance, Jason covers for them. Contact Robert or Jason ahead of time and they can be sure to have what you want at the field.

I don't know too much about black powder but lots of folks around here get it at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine. Someone else will be able to fill you in on permits, etc. As a pound goes a long way for many people, you may be able to get someone to sell you some at the field. From what I understand, Pyrodex needs to be highly contained to provide the right punch for ejection. Again, many others will be able to give you help on this topic.

If you can get to a launch or a meeting, you'll get all kinds of good info.
Kenn

More
10 years 7 months ago #6767 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Questions regarding a L1 attempt
It's the BATFE that's the problem not MA. They want you to have a low explosive users permit unless you're using it in and antique firearm. Gun stores in Maine don't seem to care about either.

If you want to stay legal, I have the permit and I can give you what you need at a launch.