× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Greetings Thread

More
11 years 4 months ago #6362 by Thraxz
Greetings Thread was created by Thraxz
Hello all, I'm Scott,

Ive recently joined NAR (and here obviously) with my interest in rocketry reaching something of a crescendo.

I'm currently in the design stages of an experimental rocket that in its current state will be powered by a pressure fed, Propane/N2O motor and have a primitive flap guidance to keep it flying in a straight line. I look forward to seeing/talking to you all as the project commences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #6365 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Greetings Thread
I probably shouldn't be asking this question because we don't do experimental stuff at our launches but I'm curious. The nitrous will find it's way to the combustion chamber on it's own but the propane won't have enough pressure. Are you pressurizing the propane tank with an inert gas?

More
11 years 4 months ago #6366 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Greetings Thread
I know this forum doesn't follow the same rules as TRF, for example, but I agree, Bill, you probably shouldn't be asking the question here. Instead, Scott should avail himself of the expertise and knowledge that attends all of the CMASS semi-monthly meetings. Guidance and non-certified motors are way outside what our NAR club is about.

On topic, welcome to Scott and I hope to meet you at a future, sanctioned launch.

More
11 years 4 months ago #6367 by billspad
Personally, I don't see any problem with talking about stuff that we can't do at our launches. I think TRF is way too restrictive. And I still want to hear more about the N2O/propane rocket.

More
11 years 4 months ago #6368 by Thraxz
Replied by Thraxz on topic Re: Greetings Thread
Hello,

I was going to pressurize the propane tank with N2. Now the decision I've been wrestling with is whether to complicate a system (that I really don't want to complicate any more than absolutely necessary) by adding a third tank designated for N2 that feeds into the fuel tank or pressurize the tank directly with N2, which has its own set of problems. Careful jet selection should be able to get the stoichiometric fuel/oxidizer ratio right.

This is an extreme longterm project that probably won't see a wet run let alone a working rocket for year(s).

More
11 years 4 months ago #6369 by billspad
I think you're going to need a pressure regulator on the N2 and some type of fancy check valve because if hot gas and/or propane finds its way into the N2O tank or the other way around, bad things are going to happen.

Now that I've bored or scared the rest of our membership, I'll quit.