× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Wind at Amesbury

More
11 years 6 months ago #6279 by MikeDensmore
Wind at Amesbury was created by MikeDensmore
After I read Bill's message regarding possible wind conditions for this Saturday, I ran some numbers for the largest rocket I would plan to launch. That got me to wondering about the field size. What would be considered an acceptable drift distance for the Amesbury field? Is it possible to have some suggested distances based on general wind direction?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6280 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Wind at Amesbury
Google maps search for Woodsom Farm Amesbury MA set to satellite view gives a great image of the field.

Launch is from the middle of the largest grassy area. If a rocket travels less than 500 ft recovery is an easy walk, less than 1000 ft and recovery is usually on the field or in the wooded areas next to the field.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6281 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Wind at Amesbury
If the wind is blowing across the short side of the field like it was at the last launch you've got 1500' from pad C to the condos. With a 10 mph wind and a sink rate of 15 fps your rocket is going to drift 1' horizontally for every 1' it drops. If it's blowing from the power lines towards the school you've got at least 3000'. Also keep in mind that the winds at the surface aren't always at the same speed and directions as the winds up in the air.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6282 by HPRnut
Replied by HPRnut on topic Re: Wind at Amesbury
Does that change at all if you are using dual deployment? I am looking to change my main deployment from 700 to 400 feet if the wind is going to be something like 13 MPH.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6283 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Wind at Amesbury
It will still drift some under drogue. If you've flown the rocket before with a recording altimeter you can extract the speed that it drops and work from there.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6284 by MikeDensmore
Replied by MikeDensmore on topic Re: Wind at Amesbury
I used OpenRocket since it gave me a pretty good estimate for other parameters. It looks like 1150' with a small chute in 18mph winds. Of course the downward velocity will be pretty fast. But a larger chute would put me up to 1700+ feet. Looks like I have some reasonable tradeoffs depending on actual field conditions.