× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Night R/C Fly, Thursday, August 23rd, Acton

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 8 months ago #6158 by jcsalem
A friend of mine is helping to organize a night R/C fly at the Acton field with we use for CMASS launches.
They'll be flying R/C planes and helicopters with plenty of lights. I believe they will have time available for night rocket flights, though no launch equipment is provided. I'm planning to go.

It's Thursday, August 23rd starting at 7:30pm at the School Street soccer fields in Acton, MA. Here's a Facebook posting with the details:
www.facebook.com/events/131869960290856/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #6160 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Night R/C Fly, Thursday, August 23rd, Acton
Unfortunately, I can't make it. Would love to do a night launch and check out their lighted RC projects.

At that time my wife and I will be driving to Newark, NJ airport to pick up our daughter returning from a 6 week trek across India. She has had an amazing time visiting friends, temples and castles including Taj Mahal and riding horses, camels, motorcycles plus the usual forms of transportation.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Boris Katan.

More
11 years 8 months ago #6161 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Night R/C Fly, Thursday, August 23rd, Acton
Are you bringing any launch equipment Jim?

• jcsalem
More
11 years 8 months ago #6162 by jcsalem
Yes, I'm bringing a single pad and a relay launcher. I'll have 1/8" and 1/4" rods.

• jcsalem
More
11 years 8 months ago #6164 by jcsalem
About 25-30 people came to the night fly including Howard and his wife and I. It was well organized with a projected message board, a lit runway for the larger planes and a separate area for the smaller planes and helis. Lots of flights with many different kinds of aircraft that were well-lit with LEDs.

There were 10 rocket launches: 2 APCP, 4 black powder, and 4 h2o. The water rockets were lit with multiple glow sticks in the nose cone and went up to about 250'. For the other rockets, Howard and I used 1 each of B, C, D, E, F, and G motors. The former in a custom model using a high intensity glow stick for the airframe and the latter in Howard's LOC Cool Spool.

It was a successful event and I'm sure they'll try it again.

More
11 years 8 months ago #6166 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Night R/C Fly, Thursday, August 23rd, Acton
Yes it was really fun. We should definitely invite these guys up to our fall night launches in Amesbury.