× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

epoxy recommendations

More
11 years 11 months ago #5979 by tkacvins
epoxy recommendations was created by tkacvins
I am looking for medium set (15 minute) epoxy recommendations. I got burned by using a fast set epoxy. By the time I realized I had misaligned a fin, it was already set. :( I don't need large quantities used for fiber glassing and what not, so I don't need a quart (or more). Maybe I'll need those amounts later, after I get level 1 certification and start building larger rockets

Any ideas on what I should use?

Thanks in advance...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #5980 by tkacvins
Replied by tkacvins on topic Re: epoxy recommendations
After doing some more research, it looks like West Systems or Aeropxy is a good bet, especially West Sytems, which has pumps for ease of use in mixing. Of course, this means I need to buy larger quantities, but if I take care of the equipment and store the resin and hardener properly, I should be able to go extended periods of time between use of the epoxy.

I also found out about fillers and the various roles they play. For example, adding a filler to make the epoxy thicker for building up fillets.

The only thing I am concerned about is heat resistance. From what I have read, Pro Line is supposed to be good for this. Do they have a pump system?

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #5983 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: epoxy recommendations
For quick bonds onto porous surfaces or where extreme strength is not the primary requirement I use Locktite 5 minute epoxy. Locktite also has a 15 minute epoxy as well. Both speed products are available at Lowes or Home Depot in 4oz bottles which saves money and facilitates accurate mixes of any sized batch.

I don't use the epoxy mixing syringes as they are overpriced and often create uneven mixes due to poor design.

For maximum strength, stronger bonding to fiberglassed surfaces and laying on fiberglass, I use West Systems 206 epoxy. Chose this because of very good reputation and ability to buy locally and avoid shipping heavy containers.

As most rocket motors burn for 1-2 seconds, extreme heat resistance is not a primary issue until you fly well past mach 2. Most flyers never go this fast. Can't hit these speeds at a CMASS launch because you'll bust the waiver.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Boris Katan.

More
11 years 11 months ago #5988 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: epoxy recommendations

From what I have read, Pro Line is supposed to be good for this. Do they have a pump system?

Pro Line is great stuff and the cans I have purchased can use the same pumps as West Systems. It's a different mix ratio so you can't just use the pumps alone to mesure out the ratio like you can with West. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head but I'm sure you can fine some info for the correct ratio on TRF on this.

As Boris said, I wouldn't worry as much about the heat as just getting a good quality epoxy. I've used both West Systems and Pro Line and they are both great. Much metter than hobby line stuff.

More
11 years 11 months ago #5990 by tkacvins
Replied by tkacvins on topic Re: epoxy recommendations
I went with the West System offering, using 105 resin and 206 hardener. Works great for fillets if you get the 406 colloidal silica filler for thickening. I need to get some 205 hardener for quick set epoxy.

The pumps are great for metering, but for the amount of epoxy I need at a given time, I think I need to weigh out small batches. I assume the 5:1 ratio of resin to hardener is by weight, not volume...

Thanks for the help, guys...

More
11 years 11 months ago #5991 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: epoxy recommendations
For West 206 + 105 epoxy, the 5:1 ratio is by both weight and volume as the 206 hardener is the same density as the 105 resin. This is not the case for all West hardeners.

I use the small (gram) West scale and 4oz pour bottles facilitating accurate small batches.