× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Pad C Ignition Changes

• alan
  • alan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 1 month ago - 11 years 9 months ago #5820 by alan
Pad C Ignition Changes was created by alan
26-Jun-2012
Hello,

If you plan to fly from Pad C on Saturday 21-Jul-2012, please read these instructions.

Thanks,
-Alan

23-Mar-2012
Hello,

If you launch from Pad C (HPR) at Amesbury, read on as we are looking for your opinion.

Launches from Pad C tend to burn up the most ignitor whip clip wires due to the increased exhaust blast from large and complex motor combinations that CMASS members are famous for.

We're going to try something new this year by placing a terminal box UNDER the blast defelector at Pad C to supply 12 volts from the relay. There will be 2 pairs of terminals, You can use either pair at your option.

Question 1: Do most Pad C projects spit out the ignitor(s), meaning there is not concern for being wired fast to the terminal box ?

Question 2: Is there a need for micro whip clips at Pad C, meaning do any of you fly with copperhead ignitors or similar needing micro clips ?

Please post you answers/thoughts to these 2 questions in this thread by 6-Apr-2012.

Thanks,
-Alan

P.S. Boris, what gauge wire is on the coil side (input) of YOUR relay box, so I can make sure the terminals will handle your GSE.
///
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by alan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #5822 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
I like the idea but I see one possible problem. I don't think the leads on many igniters are going to be long enough to reach from the bottom of a rocket up on the standoff ring around and under the the blast deflector. I know for sure that the Quuickburst igniters I use with hybrids aren't even close to being long enough.

More
12 years 1 month ago #5824 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
Alan,

The input side of my cluster box is 16 awg wire. Thanks for your concern about compatibility.

It is an interesting idea to put connectors under the blast shield. For some flights that would work well.

However, Bill raises a good point that some setups will need clips closer to the motor(s).

More
12 years 1 month ago #5825 by Peter.Graves
Replied by Peter.Graves on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
Alan.
With cti igniters Robert has them with 7 foot leads. As for the shorter ones they coukld be extented with a length of wire and wire nuts , an extra step but would protect equipment.

Peter

• alan
  • alan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 week ago #5830 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
Bill and Boris,

Is the case you are talking about that the supplied leads are just short (and the clips provide the extension) or do some of these ignitors need the clip form factor (example: copperhead leads folded with tape).
I can include a 3rd connection (jack) on the terminal box for micro clip leads too.

All,

I'll build one prototype for field testing

-Alan
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by alan.

More
12 years 1 month ago #5831 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Pad C Ignition Changes
> In many cases it is is just a matter of the igniter wire not reaching beneath the blast shield.

For my cluster box, is is desirable to connect the club 12V trigger power a few feet away from motor smoke and soot. However, extending the input line on my box would be easy for me to do.

While I greatly appreciate your consideration of my wiring setup for pad design, please optimize the pad for the majority of flyers.

> On a different Pad C related note, would it make sense to move B over next to C?

At some launches last year we had a line waiting for C because of the demand for the full 200ft safety distance.