× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Altimeter & arming switch advice

• ClaudeMaina
  • ClaudeMaina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 years 2 months ago #5764 by ClaudeMaina
Altimeter & arming switch advice was created by ClaudeMaina
It's been quite on the forum lately. This should get things going a bit.

I'd like to get some advice and recommendations for an altimeter and arming switches.

I've just started building the Vindicator Jr and will follow it with the Dark Star 4", both dual deploy and both from Wildman Rocketry. This is my first foray into fiberglass kits and truly HP rockets. I presently have a Perfectflight HiAlt45K altimeter that I am happy with and have used it with the LOC Nuke ProMaxx and HotRod Rockets Buffalo. At this point, I've used the altimeter just to record altitude. I haven't used it yet for deployment. I do have an arming switch for both the Nuke and for the Buffalo. These were simple switches purchased from Radio Shack, one is mounted on the airframe and one is mounted on the altimeter bay sled.

My plan is to use both the Nuke and Buffalo to learn dual deploy before using it on either of the fiberglass kits. In the mean time, I can fly either the Vindicator or Dark Star single deploy. I just need to keep the altitude low. The Dark Star will eventually be used to obtain my L2 certification. (I received my L1 last summer with the Nuke.) When I do attempt my L2, I will want to use the Dark Star with a backup deployment system with a second altimeter of a different manufacturer.

So, I could use recommendations for an arming switch, method of mounting (i.e. internal or external) and recommendations for a second altimeter. Any other advice would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Claude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5765 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Altimeter & arming switch advice
I like the small screw switches that Featherweight Altimeters sells:

shop.featherweightaltimeters.com/product...uctId=5&categoryId=1

And prefer to mount them on the altimeter sled next to the altimeter, putting the screw switch directly in front of (but not blocking) the altimeter vent hole.

That way one hole takes care of venting alt bay and screw switch access.

Like you, I use the PerfectFlite HA45K. It has been replaced with the StratoLogger available here for $68: www.perfectflitedirect.com/

For $155 Featherweight sells the Raven flight computer.

Either of those would be very hard to beat for what they do, and I think both are in my future.

Two implementations of screw switch and HA45K:

www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=188740&postcount=86

www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=95233&postcount=50

More
12 years 2 months ago #5766 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Altimeter & arming switch advice
I've used a few of these mounted in pretty much the same way as Boris does his:

I've got a couple of the Featherweight magnetic switches but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I'll second the recommendation of the Raven.

If you want something simpler and less expensive try the Adept 22 .

• ClaudeMaina
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 years 2 months ago #5767 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic Re: Altimeter & arming switch advice
Thanks Boris and Bill.

This gives me a good start. I'll probably try a couple of different switches on the Nuke and Buffalo and decide which one I like best before installation into the fiber glass rockets. I won't actually need a second altimeter until next year. So that can wait.

Claude

More
12 years 2 months ago #5776 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Altimeter & arming switch advice
Redundancy for recovery is a great idea for HP rockets to improve safety.

This can be accomplished several ways:

1) Motor ejection backup to electronic apogee deployment. If rocket and motor design permits, I will always do this. CTI/ProX motors have particularly reliable delays. Setting motor delay 2+ seconds after expected apogee saved my Saturn V at NERRF. The simplicity of this method is a huge plus.

2) Dual altimeters with independent batteries, switches and ematches. Required for L3 cert flights, not required for L2. Prudent when motor deployment backup is not an option (75mm+ motors).

3) Another form of limited redundancy is to do dual deployment when altitude is low enough that single deploy could still allow for in field recovery.

Sometimes more than one of these methods can be used. Because simple solutions are usually more robust, I will always use method 1 (motor ejection backup) when possible.

When method 1 is not an option, then flight profile would determine whether method 2 or 3 are appropriate.

• ClaudeMaina
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 years 2 months ago #5777 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic Re: Altimeter & arming switch advice
Right now my idea is to have full redundancy for the 4" Dark Star (method 2). I know that it is not required, but it will be fun to learn and I would hate to loose such a big rocket.

As I make my way through dual deploy, I'm sure I'll have questions for you and the rest. So stay tuned. My next step is to do some ground testing of apogee ejection this spring with both the Nuke and Buffalo. Then follow that with flights of both rockets with single ejection and motor backup (method 1).

Thanks.

Claude