× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Delta Star Rocket Plane

• Boris Katan
  • Boris Katan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #5700 by Boris Katan
Delta Star Rocket Plane was created by Boris Katan
I've been building a modified version of the Delta Star kit from R and R Model Aircraft.

TRF build thread here:

www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=29400

Airframe is completed and I plan to fly it at the Jan 14 launch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #5706 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Delta Star Rocket Plane
That looks awesome Boris. A couple of questions. How do you determine the thrust to weight ratio for choosing a motor with a glider? Is it the same 5 to 1 rule of thumb as for regular rockets? I would assume you could get by with less thrust over a longer time, especially if you are controlling the up part via RC.

I picked up a glider over the holidays: X-Treme Wing that I thought would make a fun rocket boosted glider and was thinking about motor size.

Also, how are you planning on air-starting the 24mm motors? Using the RC and some type of servo mechanism? Timer?

Can't wait to see it at the winter follies...

• Boris Katan
  • Boris Katan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #5708 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Delta Star Rocket Plane
Thanks. My RC experience is limited to conservative fliers so far. First attempt at aerobatics 1/14/12, hopefully not my last :evil:

For this project with a rigid delta wing, which will lift off at 2 lbs, I plan to launch it straight up from a standard rail on G53, G64 or G80 motors. Expect about 165 mph and 600 ft which this airframe can handle.

Servo City (servocity.com) has a great selection of RC electronics and a very informative website.
They sell RC relays that should work to fire 2nd/3rd stage motors. One of these shipped today: servocity.com/html/electronic_pwm_switch__dual_.html
Will let you know how it works

For a light glider that needs lower max speeds, a very long burning motor is a better match. If the glider is not launched straight up, then a special pad that stabilizes the wings is recommended. With a long burning motor and angled launch, the glider can benefit from some wing lift and RC control during liftoff.

More
12 years 3 months ago #5710 by hgreenblatt
Very cool. Hopefully we will get a nice dusting of snow before the 14th for some extra cushy landings.

More
12 years 3 months ago #5726 by hgreenblatt
Here's the video I took of the first launch of the Delta Star: Delta Star

Did anyone happen to get any video or action shots of me being attacked by my glider?