× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

JR L1 Plans

More
12 years 4 months ago #5682 by eggplant
JR L1 Plans was created by eggplant
I have almost finished my rocket for JR L1. It is 4"x48" and weighs about two pounds without paint, some finishing touches, motor, or recovery. I intend to fly it late spring or early summer at CMASS. I have the motor, an H128-M on the way, and I have signed up with the NAR. It should reach about 1400 feet on this engine. Is this too much for the Amesbury field? (Should I wait for Berwick?) I need an adult to act as my mentor for this as per the NAR requirements. I also would like to bring the rocket in the launch before I go for JR L1 for them to look over and make sure that I didn't miss anything. I will then launch it on a G64-4 to test it. If all goes well, at the next launch it will go up on an H128-M. Is there anyone from CMASS or MMMSClub who wouldn't mind helping me with this task?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #5686 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: JR L1 Plans
Good luck with your junior L1 attempt.

I would be glad to help you. There are a number of experienced flyers that will offer good advice at CMASS.

A lot of simulation programs are optimistic about altitudes. Suggest you do sims on the G64 and H128. Then after you do the G64 flight you can decide if a recovery from 2X the altitude seems like a good idea for that day's wind conditions.

If you get closer to 1000ft and it is not very windy at Amesbury, then recovery should be OK. If winds are up and so is altitude, then waiting for another flight opportunity would be the wise thing to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.