× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Electronics question

• SnowLion
  • SnowLion's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #5581 by SnowLion
Electronics question was created by SnowLion
I am getting a Giant Leap Rocketry Elipse for xMas! Happy holidays to me, lol. Anyway it is a dual deploy rocket (my first) so I need some basic info that I couldn't find on the Internet. I figure an Adept Rocketry ALTS25 is a good unit to get. The Elipse is a L1/L2 class rocket.

For obvious reasons I would very much want the first flight to be successful.
  1. Should I put a switch on the electronic battery lines or just plug the thing in?
  2. Should I also put switches on the charge lines as a failsafe? Then I can enable them just before launch after (or before) I power up the unit before it goes into auto mode.
  3. I'm going to use some aluminum charge canisters to hold the powder. Using Quest igniters, do I need to insulate these things?

I already figured out some binding posts, connectors, a vacuum canister for testing, would also be required.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #5582 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Electronics question
Highly recommend you buy and read Mark Canepa's book Modern High Powered Rocketry 2.

It will answer most HPR questions very well. I have read it cover to cover several times.

Suggest just using a power switch. Many different ways of assembling ejection charges. I like preparing them before before flight day to save time on the field. Then install them and connect ematches at final flight prep on the field.

You have an opportunity to check out how other folks prep HP flights at the next two Amesbury launches. Please stop by and see me on the field and I will be glad to show you my electronics setup.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #5584 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Electronics question
You might want to consider the Adept22. It's much cheaper.

You should use a switch that you can turn on once the rocket is on the pad and vertical. Screw switches like these and these are good as are rotary switches like this. You can also just stick two wires through the side and twist them to close the circuit. It's crude but it works.

You shouldn't need to insulate the canister but you should make sure the bridge wire on the Quest igniter isn't exposed. A 3" rocket doesn't need a lot of black powder and you need to be sure it's packed tight against the igniter.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by billspad.

• SnowLion
  • SnowLion's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #5586 by SnowLion
Replied by SnowLion on topic Re: Electronics question
Thank you both very much!

The ADEPT22 looks better than the one I picked out, with the $$$ I save I can get the book! I'll order it this or next week & settle in in front of the fire for some research time. Adept recommended a single power switch & even gave a schematic that's pretty easy to wire up.

I'll wait & read the book before I ask any moar questions.

I was not planning on attending any moar launches this year & thanks for the invite to observe. From what I've already seen @ the launches it looks pretty much straightforward...make sure everything is well mounted to handle the G-forces, test, follow the instructions, test, have someone check it before I fly it, test, etc.

Boris, I'll pay you a visit in the spring @ Amesbury.

If you or anyone else has any moar advice/suggestions, they are always welcome. I'm still learning & I want to do this right.

More
12 years 6 months ago #5589 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Electronics question
Fred,

If you can make it to any or all of the club meetings in Marlborough in November, January or March, you'd be able to pick some brains as you are studying this winter.

Kenn

More
12 years 6 months ago #5590 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Electronics question

Fred,

If you can make it to any or all of the club meetings in Marlborough in November, January or March, you'd be able to pick some brains as you are studying this winter.

Kenn

Are you implying the brains at the Marlborough meetings are worth picking but not the Saugus meetings?