× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

alternate launch locations

• billspad
  • billspad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
12 years 7 months ago #5522 by billspad
alternate launch locations was created by billspad
As I was cleaning (okay shuffling the papers) my desk today I found a piece of a paper that John Harland gave me about a possible launch site in NH. Evidently it's used for some kind of ATV drag racing . It's located at this farm . Is anybody near enough to it to check it out and contact the owner if it looks like it might be usable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #5523 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: alternate launch locations
Someone else may be closer but I'm about 1/2 hour away.

BTW, there's a BBQ shack on 125 not far from the farm. Just sayin'.

More
12 years 7 months ago #5524 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: alternate launch locations
It looks like it is pretty much right on the way that I travel when I go to the MMMSC Berwick, Maine field. I take 101 east to 125 North. I plan on going to the launch this Saturday, so I will drive by and check it out.

Guy.

More
12 years 6 months ago #5531 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: alternate launch locations
I stopped by the Brookvale Pines Farm in Fremont, NH on the way to the MMMSC launch yesterday morning. I did not talk to anyone or take pictures only because they were holding a Snowmobile Race, and there were hundreds of RV's and campers parked in one part of the field, tens of fancy pavilions on another part, and the public road through the area was closed at the parts of the farm that they were using to park cars, so I could not even get a look at the whole facility. It looked like a county fair. I have absolutely no doubt that they could accommodate a couple of hundred people (or many more) for a rocket launch. There looks to be sufficient open area to launch, but it would be easier to judge without thousands of people and all the equipment on the field, and as I say, I could not even get a look at the whole place. I did see the Tack Shop operation right next to/on the farm. It was a quarter mile or so off the road, and was no small operation in and of itself. I will try to check it out again next time I am in the area and try and get some pictures.

• billspad
  • billspad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
12 years 6 months ago #5532 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: alternate launch locations
Thanks Guy. I guess the big question will be how much would they charge us. I can't imagine we'd be any more offensive than snowmobiles. Isn't runningthose things in the dirt bad for them?

More
12 years 6 months ago #5533 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: alternate launch locations

Thanks Guy. I guess the big question will be how much would they charge us. I can't imagine we'd be any more offensive than snowmobiles. Isn't runningthose things in the dirt bad for them?

Running the sleds in dirt/mud is a bit rougher on the machines but it's a whole lot more comfortable watchng them race on a sunny October day than a snowy winter one, yes?

Rockets may not be more offensive than snowmobiles but it sounds like they are used to generating some large income from their land. Let's hope the owner/manager had a childhood hobby that needs to be reactivated.

And because you're on vaction, no emoticons, Bill.