× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

How do I organize my equipment?

More
12 years 8 months ago #5429 by Taser
How do I organize my equipment? was created by Taser
My dad and I just started rockets this summer, and whenever we go out to launch, we just have a big box filled with rockets, engines, plugs, etc. What we noticed was that that was probably the most unreliable way ever to carry everything. We were wondering if there was some kind of toolbox or something we could get that would organize it all. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #5430 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: How do I organize my equipment?
I'm not the person to talk to about great equipment storage and transportation but there are lots of club members who have found various contraptions or built their own to accommodate their particular needs. When you attend the next launch, look around at some of the set ups the others use and figure out what ideas you can take away from that.

One of our members reminded me this weekend that, when working with mid-power composite motors, you are best off using the ignitor that came with the single use or reload kit. Some nozzles are very fussy about the wires going through them. He's got a great fishing lure box in which he keep his organized and labeled. For the low power black powder motors the ignitors are pretty interchangeable; just use the right plug for the nozzle (or better, hold the ignitor in with a paper wad or tape).

Even if you just bring everything thrown (carefully) in a box or shopping bag, have fun. Later, neatness will help you enjoy it all more.

Sorry about no direction but I hope it's a good suggestion.

More
12 years 8 months ago #5431 by harleybagpiper
Replied by harleybagpiper on topic Re: How do I organize my equipment?
We ourselves have just gotten back into flying after a 6-7 year absence. For our low power motors, we use a good size tackle box, with a lure top, and storage bottom. The lure top works well for organizing the motors, and the storage bottom serves as our spare 'chute, expended motor/trash compartment. We've yet to find a suitable case for our mid power stuff. Hope this helps.

More
12 years 8 months ago #5432 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: How do I organize my equipment?
I was in Home Depot last night and they have some storage boxes and tool boxes by Stanley that might help fill the bill for storage and transport to the field. I use one of the storage boxes for A-D motor storage. It is black and yellow with a clear cover, 12"x17"x3.5" with multiple configurable compartments. If I recall correctly, it was in the $10 range. They also had a nice looking tool box on wheels with a fold down handle. This was around $30.

Guy.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #5437 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: How do I organize my equipment?
I use one of these:

www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization/h...0051&catalogId=10053

This large box works very well to carry all my tools, motors and rocketry supplies. Top of the box can be used as a small table. The wheels and extending handle make it easier to move around. Additional small plastic containers sit inside the large bottom space to help organize items, pick any ones you like that fit well inside.

Smaller rockets sit inside a separate storage tote, heavier rockets on the bottom, lighter on top.

My bigger rockets (5lbs+) are individually packed in cardboard boxes with padding.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Boris Katan.

More
12 years 8 months ago #5438 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: How do I organize my equipment?
Here is a link (hopefully) to the Stanley Mobil tool box I was looking at:

www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-1006245...0051&catalogId=10053