× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Maine Launch next weekend

• mainer
  • mainer's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #5411 by mainer
Maine Launch next weekend was created by mainer
MMMSClub is having another launch, Aug. 6th. Im sure the 7th will be the rain date. Impulse limit is still G at this time. Join us if you can!

See you at the field!
Darrin
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by mainer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #5427 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: Maine Launch next weekend
I missed the first launch but made it to the one today, 20 August. What a fantastic field!! :woohoo:

I got there rather late as my mechanic got a couple of parts in for my car and Saturday mornng is the easiest time for me to get work done there. Anyway, I increased the flying population 20 or 25% and put up a couple of rockets on C6-5s (Estes real C6-5s, not Quest's). The wind was sporadic at ground level but must have been blowing steadily above the tree tops as I had to walk quite a ways for both rockets. The nice thing was, I could see the rockets as far away as they were. This was my first time launching on a sod farm; large and flat - dusty where they had harvested and replanted but lush and soft where they where they hadn't.

Jim and Liz were there shooting mostly Es and Fs toward the end of the day. Scott and Aaron supplied the pads and support (I got there too late for grilled hot dogs :( ). I'm not sure if one of their daughters was also flying.

One interesting feature of the area we were set up in, a radial arm sprinkler system well over a quarter-of-a-mile long. It was operating and chased the pad locations further along the field until it was well past the parking/preparation area. Once it was far enough along, the one pad in use at the end was moved back around behind it. The launches continued and the wind didn't carry any of the rockets to the other side of the arm.

Scott will be scheduling some more launches soon with an eye to not conflicting with CMASS launches. If you can possibly get up there, go. Nothing above a G-impluse yet but the future may hold some chances to fly bigger stuff. And you can park right by the field!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.