A fire incident can occur any time

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 8 months ago #11310 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic This doesn't help us

In the first news clip I saw, I'd add that the fire chief was very calm about the incident, and neither she nor the reporters used (I cannot think of a non-punning word here, sorry) incendiary language. Instead, the words I heard were that activities like model rocketry or building a campfire can pose a threat when conditions are so dry.

So, it didn't seem to me that rocketry was being painted in a bad light in general in the story I saw.

Still, it wasn't fun to see that.

Did we ever find out what sparked that fire in Amesbury?

Overall, the reporting was fair but many will only remember "model rocketry". We will survive.

As to the fire in April, there was some expanded foam insulation in with some dog barf that likely carried an ember to the ground and, with the breeze, started the fire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #11315 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic This doesn't help us
I've been chatting with Kenn offline and in person and I also commented on the recent post on the club FB page about the Topsfield fire. It can't be proven or disproven but I suspect the Amesbury fire might have been material ejected from either my rocket that landed near where it started or another one that landed close by.
I did find some material mixed in with my dog barf that could have held a flame or a spark long enough for it to reach the ground.
I also discovered that dog barf, while it will not hold a flame, will in fact smoulder for quite a while if compressed into a tight ball hand held to a lighter flame long enough.
But absent further data, the only thing I can come up with is that something from one of our rockets carried a spark to the ground.
For my part going forward, I'm going to be inspecting my dog barf for any foreign material that might hold a spark, and also try to break up any "clumps". I'll also be putting a couple of squares of Estes wadding in first when in doubt. Estes Pro Series wadding won't hold a spark, let alone a flame, so it should help prevent anything in the dog barf from igniting.
It's a good thing that the club had some firefighting equipment handy, but I heard it was hard to lug the sprayers over to the fire. Justin O'Neill and I were messaging about the possibility of is getting some smaller backpack style sprayers, but the ones he was looking at only hold about 2.5 gallons. Water weighs about eight pounds a gallon, so five gallons would be 40# and change. I feel like I could carry that much if I had to.
We got lucky. That fire was spreading fast. A lot of things were done right but I think some could have been done better. Here's hoping it doesn't happen again, bit I don't think it would hurt for us to have a look at our equipment and preparedness. Perhaps we could consult the pros by reaching out to the fire departments in the town's where we fly for some advice, maybe even a little training.

More
1 year 8 months ago #11317 by RD-ROX
Replied by RD-ROX on topic This doesn't help us
Dry conditions aside, this Sat. is shaping up to be a good flying day! It feels like forever since we launched. Looking forward seeing you all.... and we'll be bringing a new recruit!

More
1 year 8 months ago #11318 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic This doesn't help us

Dry conditions aside, this Sat. is shaping up to be a good flying day! It feels like forever since we launched. Looking forward seeing you all.... and we'll be bringing a new recruit!

For now,  Windy indicates the wind direction will be toward the chickens!

More
1 year 8 months ago #11319 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic This doesn't help us

...I also commented on the recent post on the club FB page about the Topsfield fire

No idea that we had a FB page.

More
1 year 8 months ago #11321 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic This doesn't help us

...I also commented on the recent post on the club FB page about the Topsfield fire

No idea that we had a FB page.

Don't you mean "Meta" page? Har-de-har-har-har!