× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

L1 Certification Help

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #11944 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic L1 Certification Help
Forgot to post the video here:

Youtube video

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #11945 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic L1 Certification Help
Nice video, I already watched it twice. When people get out of the main conference room, I'll use AirPlay to watch it on the 100" screen.
Great rocket, cute dog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #11947 by Jbears11
Replied by Jbears11 on topic L1 Certification Help
I plan on doing my L2 on Saturday. I'm assuming there will be at least 2 L2's there.

Do you guys administer tests? Is the waiver still for 4,000ft or has it been reduced? I'm Currently simulated to go to 3200ft with a "less than Ideal Nosecone"

If anyone was at the Oct-14th Launch, I was the kid with the tall yellow on red rocket that was a little wobbly on the way up (high stability with the small motor). 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ClaudeMaina
  • ClaudeMaina's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #11948 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic L1 Certification Help
There should be enough L2 and L3 certified people at the launch on Saturday. So that shouldn't be a problem. I think you will have more of a problem with the strong predicted winds and your simulation of 3200 ft. IMHO, that altitude is pushing the limits of the field, even with dual deploy and no winds. Are you planning on using Chute Release or dual deploy for recovery, and what motor do you plan on using? Think this over - discretion is the better part of valor.

Claude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #11949 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic L1 Certification Help

There should be enough L2 and L3 certified people at the launch on Saturday. So that shouldn't be a problem. I think you will have more of a problem with the strong predicted winds and your simulation of 3200 ft. IMHO, that altitude is pushing the limits of the field, even with dual deploy and no winds. Are you planning on using Chute Release or dual deploy for recovery, and what motor do you plan on using? Think this over - discretion is the better part of valor.

Claude

Claude speaks truth!  Windy is currently forecasting 10+ mph winds with gusts to 26 mph for the 11th... That's enough to keep me from wanting to send anything above 800-1200 feet!   A 10 mph sustained wind will take any rocket that deployed a chute at say, 400 ft, with a descent rate of 20 fps, on a nice drift of 700 ft from the location the chute opens... And that's just assuming no "lift" or glide effect from the chute!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #11950 by Jbears11
Replied by Jbears11 on topic L1 Certification Help
I'm flying on a CTI Pro38-5G J94-P Mellow. Current Sim is actually for 2800ft (I'm updating all my weights tonight to get final numbers).

I have dual-redundant dual deploy using a SLCF and RRC2+. 18in Drogue deployed at Apogee (descent rate of 61 ft/s). I don't deploy my main above 600ft, Saturday I'm thinking 400ft for primary, and 300ft for backup. I wrap the main chute pretty tight, on the test flight the main didn't open until about 150ft after being deployed at 350ft, I'm trying a new method for this flight to avoid that. Main descent rate is 14ft/s, I'd love a smaller main chute but UMass Lowell doesn't have any :/.

I also have a stability of 2.52 (will change with updated weights but not by much) so I will turn into the wind a bit with my 4.3:1 TWR. Using the wind forecast OpenRocket shows me only a few hundred feet from the rail (I saw closer to 400-500ft).

Sim settings are
Wind: 12mph @ 290Deg, deviation of 1.64 mph, turbulance of 13.7%.
Rail: 8ft, 0 degrees (even 5 degrees to the southwest is keeping it before the alpaca pen, ideal would be 2 degrees into the wind but that would be toward the power lines).
Altitude: 2820ft (expecting lower, Higher drag due to flat nosecone, cant on fins, + expected cosine losses from weathercocking)
Max Velocity: 260mph


I also have an eggfinder GPS onboard, just incase.
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Jbears11.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.