× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...

More
2 years 10 months ago #10534 by MALBAR70
Replied by MALBAR70 on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
I live in Athol, but the place I'm working is just about on the Leveret\Amherst town line. Willamsburg is just on the other side of 91, not too far away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #10535 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
MALBAR70 and RD-ROX, you seem to be in a good position to scout out a potential field that can be used for high power launches. Anything you can do or find out would be much appreciated. I don't know what the requirements are in order to get a FAA waiver. Perhaps someone can let us know.

More
2 years 10 months ago #10536 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
In general, farmland would be available for use without damaging anything either before grass has started to grow much in the spring, immediately after an area has been hayed, before a field is to be plowed, or after a crop has been harvested. Otherwise you are likely impacting a crop and therefore not going to be allowed on the land. Also, if the land is either too wet or too dry, no go.

Guy.

More
2 years 10 months ago #10545 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
Hello again. Right now for some reason I can only get Quick Reply to work with my phine, bit this goes out to all commenting here.
I would support an effort to acquire a launch site in the Amherst/Northampton area. I live in Leominster so I'd be about halfway by road between there and Amesbury.
Lots of tobacco farms out there. Lots of corn too, and possibly turf farms. Land that's being cropped might be problematic. Perhaps some of the local college athletic fields might serve? Then there's the river to think about.
Obviously every possible spot is spoken for. We'll have to find a way to "bribe" them and possibly work with lock authorities as well.
One thing that could be tried is to approach the schools and see if they have any rocketry programs in the works or would be interested in implementing some. They could become.our local allies in an effort to secure launch space.
Do any of the engineering schools in this state have rocketry clubs? Maybe there's a way to get a foot in the door.
Just tossing some ideas out...I think it might pay off to start asking around.

More
2 years 10 months ago #10546 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
Since you are geographically closer to the area, feel free to pursue finding a field in the Amherst/Northampton area.