Training for an away fire event

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #11596 by jcsalem
Replied by jcsalem on topic Training for an away fire event
Unfortunately, my plans of changed and I won't be able to attend on Saturday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #11599 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Training for an away fire event
No matter what your skill level please come out we have a full slate of activities for everyone. Clothing requirements can be found in earlier posts to this forum topic.

Both training sessions are GO for Saturday 15 April 2023 commencing at 3 PM in Haverhill MA 01830 for the classroom session.

The practical hands-on session in Atkinson NH 03811 at 5 PM shall adapt accordingly if fire danger rating blocks the permit for the live burn. Based on the stated participation level / roles of the attendees, we may steer towards strategy, resource management, preparedness and train-the-trainer.

Location directions click HERE

-Alan
Last edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by alan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guyw

More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #11600 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Training for an away fire event
We had nine members turn out for 4-1/2 hours of away fire training: Frank, Linda, Bruce, Dan, Rick, Guy, Kenn, Ed and Joe R. Good job everyone, very nice teamwork !! Thank you all for sharing your afternoon I enjoyed instructing and meeting some new faces.

You worked hard covering the basic skills over 8 different range fire scenarios. This was all hand tools (broom, rake) and water (5 gallon pump cans.) Photos in the gallery .

The fire danger conditions / weather prevented any live fire burn so I'm looking forward to doing that later this year. The motto for this class turned out to be: "No running! Walk With Purpose."
Thanks, -Alan
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by alan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guyw

More
11 months 1 week ago #11601 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Training for an away fire event
Training was very informative. We learned what to do and how to deal with an away fire BEFORE it occurs. It was quite apparent that Alan had done a lot or planning and preparation for this training,

More
11 months 1 week ago #11603 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Training for an away fire event
We could see where Alan had put a great effort into this presentation. We were fortunate for his expertise. I for one got a real enlightenment. Thanks . Joe Robertson

More
11 months 1 week ago #11604 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic Training for an away fire event
The presentation and practice session were both very informative and productive. It's good to know that we have adequate equipment and a working plan to deal with an incident like last year's Amesbury fire. 
 As some of you already know, I think it may have been discharge from one of my rockets that started that fire. And I was the first one there because I was trying to recover my rocket. It caught me unprepared and not knowing what to do. It was already beyond my ability to cope with it myself. I was wearing  hiking shoes but had shorts on so I couldn't get close enough to stomp out the bigger flames. One of my shins did get "cooked" a little, I could feel it for a day or so afterward. 
 Then the cavalry arrived with the sprayers and the brooms and plenty of manpower. And once again I wasn't quite sure what to do, but I tried to help by stomping out the smaller flames and embers so they wouldn't spread. 
 There wasn't much I could have done differently, but now at least I know there are enough of us who know what to do. 
And now I can be a little more helpful if a similar incident occurs. It was good for me to get a chance to practice with the equipment and work through a few possible scenarios with the other club members. And I can pass on some of what I've learned. 
Big thanks to Alan for setting this up and to the rest who showed up.