• DeltaVee
  • DeltaVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #10325 by DeltaVee
Asking for trouble... was created by DeltaVee
Soliciting opinions, please!

I'm thinking that during the off season, that I might finally begin work on my Cherokee G upscale kit. This thing comes with an electronics bay for dual deploy... While I won't likely use that feature initially, eventually I might give it a try. I note that perfect flight has a relatively inexpensive Altimeter system for that... Although I note altus metrum has gps on their offering... Of course that'd require support equipment.

Opinions on your favorite device(es) is requested... What does the crowd think ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #10329 by BDB
Replied by BDB on topic Asking for trouble...
For deployment, I'm a big fan of the Eggtimer Quantum. I know Curtis likes them too. You need to be able to solder surface mounted parts, but I bet there are some folks at CMASS who could help you with that, if you don't want to do it yourself.

For GPS, I can't say enough about the Featherweight system. I love it, and it has saved my butt a few times when I overflew the field. The only caveat with it is that you need to use the software on an iPhone. If that's your preferred device, it's the way to go. I'd be happy to show it to you at an upcoming launch.

Brenton

• DeltaVee
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #10332 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Asking for trouble...
Thanks Brenton... I'm afraid an iPhone is a non-starter (android guy here...) however I don't fear solder... I forgot to check out Eggtimer. Altus Metrum is a tad on expensive side!

• DeltaVee
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #10334 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Asking for trouble...
I was hoping more folks would chime in with their favorite choices of DD altimeters etc. But what I'd really like to see is how people handle (assuming a typical mid-section electronics bay) downward facing ejection charges and the like...

More
3 years 4 months ago #10335 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Asking for trouble...
I was looking at the Featherweight GPS Tracking system.
www.featherweightaltimeters.com/featherweight-gps-tracker.html
The Ground Station, Tracker and Tracker battery sell for $352 plus the optional battery charger sells for $17. It has a really great range of 300,000 feet. I'm assuming that the battery has to be connected to the tracker during flight.

Brenton, could you please provide a photo or two of how you mounted the tracker to your rocket?

The latest Apogee News Letter has a link to the Marco Polo system. The range is around 1.5 miles line of sight from what I saw on YouTube. The Advanced systems sells for $235.

For $117 more, I would go with the Featherweight. Much longer range and can read over the horizon. I'm assuming it does not require connection to a cell tower.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #10336 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic Asking for trouble...
Here's my 2 cents.

I have a couple of altimeters. My favorite is Perfect Flight HiAlt45. I've had it over ten years now and it has never failed me. It is easy to set up and use, and seems to be pretty robust. Unfortunately it is no longer made; but I would trust other Perfect Flight altimeters. I also have 2 Missile Works RRC2+ altimeters. These are smaller, also easy to set up and use. I really like these as well. I did have an issue with one a couple of years ago. It failed to ignite a charge and record altitude intermittently twice over the summer. I wasn't able to diagnose the problem with Missile Works help. Missile Works took it back but it seemed fine in their hands. Never-the-less they replaced it with a new one. I've not had a problem with either since then.

I use charge wells when there is room on the bulkhead of the altimeter bay. I believe there are a number of sources but I've gotten mine from Dog House Rocketry. When space is tight, I just use microcentrifuge tubes (up to 1.5 g) or cyro-storage tubes (up to 5.0 g). They are easy to use and I have a ton of each.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by ClaudeMaina.