New field possibility

• GrantW
  • GrantW's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #10235 by GrantW
Replied by GrantW on topic New field possibility
John Peck is on the planning board and has signatory power over the field, but it is because he has ties with the owners of the field, who used to own Cumberland Farms.
The Halifax/Middleborough town line passes through the field, but because it is private property it doesn’t seem like that would be a problem.
I believe the fence is around the solar farm however there is a gate blocking the road going to the middle of the field.
The structure in the field is more of a foundation, and shouldn’t be a problem of any sort.
I took a look at the property lines and the solar farm stays close enough to the edge so that there is still an accessible 0.75 miles along the shortest way. Perhaps if this is an option it could be treated like the power lines in Amesburry and maybe Bob Grant will be happy with the property owners insurance given by the NAR.
The only event I can think of besides bird watching there is the rc plane club.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10236 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic New field possibility

Hmm, its about 720 ft x 2000+ ft ( Approx), and you need to contact the Tufts Cumming school of Veterinary medicine,however the BIG CATCH is that on their website they say that the field is currently closed to the public, however, we (might?) get a chance if we ask.

How does 720 x 2000 compare to Acton?

More
3 years 5 months ago #10237 by deangelo54
If an RC club currently uses the field, I take that as a good sign. At least they are letting someone use it which could help us get our foot in the door.

Things to highlight as you said, are the NAR insurance and rocketry's safety record. CMASS consists of well supervised young people and mature adults that are very respectful of people's property and safety. CMASS is 25+ years old and we have never had any issues with public and private land owners.
Basically, we should compile a list of possible objections and have intelligent and well thought out replies available.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #10238 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic New field possibility
Well,In Acton, I would roughly estimate that "our" half ( The part that we launch on, seperated from the other half by School street) to be 700x1100 ft.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by RetroRocketGuy.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10239 by deangelo54
At yesterday's launch, I talked to a couple of people that have launched at the Halifax field. What they reported is not good. The road that leads to the field is terrible. You cannot tell by looking at satellite photos, but there are irrigation ditches and high brush. One CMASS member explained that after two launches, he quit flying.

Thanks to everyone that are taking the time to look for alternative locations.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #10240 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic New field possibility
I have flown on the Halifax field with Frontier Rocketry when they were still around. The ditches where definitely a pain to navigate. At the time I had a big SUV that didn't have much trouble driving out to where the pads were but if the field has since been worked on, the roads might not be as bad. Also if there is an RC club out there thats great. Maybe try and contact them to get an idea on how they are navigating the details for use of the filed. If we do get access to the field, I can handle setting up the waiver with the FAA. Also, as it's a good field for high power rockets, there would be less of an issue when we can't fly high power due to winds in Amesbury. Definitely worth pursuing.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by hgreenblatt.