New field possibility

• GrantW
  • GrantW's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #10211 by GrantW
New field possibility was created by GrantW
I found a field in Halifax and was thinking about approaching the land owner about possibly hosting an event for the club there. The field is about 1 square mile which could possibly have flights to 2mi with the appropriate waivers. They’ve hosted an rc plane club in the past, so it seems like it could be a viable option. Is this something I should pursue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10212 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic New field possibility
We're always looking for new field possibilities. Please do look into this and let us know what we can do to help. We have some other members South of Boston who could help.

If you can, please post pictures of the field or give us the location so we can have a satellite look at it.
Thanks for asking about this.

• GrantW
  • GrantW's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #10213 by GrantW
Replied by GrantW on topic New field possibility
I can’t seem to add a picture that fits within the file size limit, but it if you type in Cumberland Farms IBA into google maps it should come up. I think it used to be a testing site in the Vietnam war so there are various dirt roads that go throughout the field.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10214 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic New field possibility
Nice.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10215 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic New field possibility
Before anyone gets too excited, we've considered this field before and found it doesn't fit our needs for the types of launches CMASS holds. While it is expansive and could obtain authorization for much higher flights than we can have in Amesbury, the accessibility and terrain would be a problem. A few HPR launches in a day may be okay but LPR and MPR would be difficult to recover in the overgrowth on the field.

Every few years, a new CMASS member suggests this field. At one point, one tried to get enough interest to start another NAR Section to use the field but nothing ever came of it.

A former Tripoli Prefecture used the field at the turn of the century but seems to have gone inactive. RIMRA may have looked at it as a possible site but have not done any more to utilize it.

Thank you, Grant, for the thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrantW

More
3 years 5 months ago #10216 by BDB
Replied by BDB on topic New field possibility
I've looked into this field before, and I tried to contact the RC guys who fly there a couple months ago (no response). Like Kenn mentioned, the biggest issue is that the field, with the exception of the relatively small RC area, is covered in thick weeds/brush.

That said, I'd still be interested in tying to use this for RIMRA or the burgeoning TRA EX club because it is an excellent space. I'd even be willing to donate some time and funds to mow the area. So if anyone knows how to contact the owner, please give it a try.