Found my lost Constellation in Sudbury!

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #6850 by mlaudato
Found my lost Constellation in Sudbury! was created by mlaudato
On a hunch and a whim, I took a ride over to the Sudbury field on my lunch hour today to see if I could find the Constellation, which got stuck in a tree at the 5/19/2013 launch.

After looking up in the trees for 15 minutes, I was convinced it was no longer up, and started to look down. Within 5 minutes, I found the booster section, and literally 10 seconds later found the payload section a few feet away! They were both roughly at the base of the clump of trees that ate the rocket back in May.

My initial assessment is that the rocket is very repairable - the fin glue has softened a bit, but astoundingly the body tube is not a mess. Payload section seems fine, some nicks in the balsa that should be easy to fill. I'll let it dry out and then see what the repair entails. I've had this rocket since I was a teen (circa 1974 or so) and am very glad to have it back. Carmine will be happy to have his hexbug back too.

Take that, rocket gods! (oh no, have I now offended them???)

- Matt
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by mlaudato.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #6852 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Found my lost Constellation in Sudbury!
Nice one Matt! At some point on Saturday I may go wandering around the tall grass near the llama pen (if it is still tall grass) to see if I can find my Fatboy.

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 6 months ago #6857 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: Found my lost Constellation in Sudbury!
When did you lose it? If I have time I'll walk out with you and help look around.

More
10 years 5 months ago #6858 by guyw
I would be willing to join the search party as well.